Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion P6 Series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The VGA cable will not screw in to the back of the PC as the adapter that reaches out to hold the screw is missing, so the monitor will not properly connect. Is there another way to connect the monitor to the PC?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Mimi2017 

I don't know what is your P6 but should be very close to the hollowing HP Pavilion p6-2020a Desktop PC:

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c02992800

At the back, at least it has following ports

p6.png

Does you machine have DVI port ?

(a) If yes, all you need is a DVI cable,

(b) If no you need a DVI to VGA adapter. I've got a dozen of them (similar to the following one) in my garage and I know they work

https://www.harveynorman.com.au/alogic-dvi-i-to-vga-adapter.html

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I do have that port as well. I ordered the cable and I still receive the same message. I connected my laptop to the monitor and it connects fine, so I know that's not the problem so I'm wondering if perhaps the video card is damaged.

HP Recommended

You shouldn't need to 'screw' the cable in for it to work. Simply 'plugging' it in should suffice.

If you can connect your laptop to the screen using the same VGA cable, then yes, it's probably the port, although it is unusual.

As @banhien suggested, you can use a DVI cable if your monitor also has a DVI connector.

It doesn't sound to me like is issue is with the screen or the VGA cable. What is actually happening when you connect the VGA cable to the P6? Are you getting anything on the screen? Does it even look like the PC is booting?

HP Recommended

@Mimi2017 wrote:

I do have that port as well. I ordered the cable and I still receive the same message.

@Mimi2017 

My link shows an adapter, not cable. Plug the adapter to your machine then use old VGA cable to connect machine to monitor.

I know it works because I'm not talking about one or two, I myself have at least a dozen and I used to work on a place where they had hundreds. They threw them to a bin after 2 years that why I took some for spare.

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I connected to the laptop and it's not the display. I get the message no input detected. I ordered the dvi cable and that didn't work either. I'm thinking it's my pc.

HP Recommended

Sorry i didn't answer your question.  If I turn off the pc and turn it back on, it sounds like it's going through the booting process but the monitor says video input not detected and goes to sleep.

HP Recommended

@Mimi2017 wrote:

I connected to the laptop and it's not the display. I get the message no input detected. I ordered the dvi cable and that didn't work either. I'm thinking it's my pc.

@Mimi2017 

I'm confused, now you are talking about a laptop. Did you buy the adaper ? Does your monitor have DVI port ? My very first answer is you need an adapter and ending up you will have

DSC_6001a.png

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

No, it is a desktop. I connected the monitor to my laptop and the monitor works fine, so it is not the port. I purchased a cable and the monitor still says video source not connected so it's not the port, or the cable. Apparently it's something going on with the PC. I'm not purchasing an adapter.

HP Recommended

@Mimi2017 wrote:

.... I purchased a cable and the monitor still says video source not connected so it's not the port, or the cable. Apparently it's something going on with the PC. I'm not purchasing an adapter.

@Mimi2017 

Now, do you use which port on desk top ? There are 2 video ports as mentioned on my first reply. Have you tried the DVI port because the VGA port is dead ?

Regards.

BH

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.