Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 27-xa0033na Quad-HD All-in-One

The specification for the machine say the Webcam is "HP TrueVision HD IR Camera with dual array digital microphone" but the device manager says it is "HP 2.0MP High Definition Webcam".

Two things:

1 Are these the same?

2 I find the video quality really poor and very grainy, how can I improve this?

Thanks

WeeJimmie

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@WeeJimmie Ideally, the name of the driver could be different, however, if it's detecting a webcam, that's the one it should be installed on your device, that said, here's all you need to know and do, to resolve all webcam related quality issues:

The first thing to do is make sure your video recording environment has good lighting. Next, adjust the image quality using the adjustments available from the webcam software. Most webcam software allows you to adjust quality settings for contrast, colors and brightness. To resolve problems with choppy playback, reduce the size of the video image from the software settings, use a high speed Internet connection (for Instant messaging), and do not use other high speed USB devices at the same time you are using the webcam.

Here are some helpful articles from HP that might resolve a more specific video quality problem:

• Adjusting the Webcam Settings to Improve the Video Quality

• Improper Lighting and Positioning Can Cause Problems with Webcam Facial-Tracking Function

• Webcam Images May Have Purple Tint

• Troubleshooting Slow Webcam on Battery Power

• Webcam Remains in Black and White Mode In Normal Ambient Light Environment

For details: click here

(Works for Windows 7, 8 and 10)

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Riddle_Decipher

I tried clicking on the hyperlink "Adjusting the Webcam Settings to Improve the Video Quality" but it gave page not found error, can you tell me how to adjust the various camera settings?

Thanks

HP Recommended

@WeeJimmie Thank you for informing about that, i've reported that to the concerned team, that said, please let me know which software you are using with the webcam, and if you've tried other software as most settings are software dependent.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am using the factory installed webcam driver as follows:

HP 2.0MP High Definition Webcam

Microsoft

Version 10.0.18362.815

When I go into setting from the webcam app only the following are available:

Photo

Quality set to 2.1MP 16:9 (1920x1080)

Video

Quality set to 1080p 16:9 30fps

Flicker Reduction set to 60Hz

No other user settable settings are available!!

Finally under About this App

To reiterate the picture is grainy and not of a quality I would expect from a modern desktop from a reputable supplier such as HP - very disappointed.

HP Recommended

@WeeJimmie The default camera app does not have any settings, it's just a basic app that takes pictures or videos, to optimize the settings you will need to download an app for the same, try Testing the Webcam Using YouCam or Skype, etc.. for better results.

Keep me posted.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am afraid your suggestion does not really address my original query.

When I look in device manager (under Cameras) there are two options, 1 HP 2.0MP High Definition Webcam and 2 HP IR Camera.

If I enable option 1 the in-built webcam works but it does not work when I enable option 2.

My question is what camera is actually fitted to my computer? The specification for the computer indicates it should be an HP TrueVision HD camera.

I am more than a little disappointed that HP have chosen to define a 2MP camera as high definition!!!

I am still unable to try and improve the quality of the picture..... 

HP Recommended

@WeeJimmie As per the data sheet for your device, you have an HP TrueVision HD IR Camera with dual array digital microphone, and its driver is named "HP 2.0MP High Definition Webcam" as per your device manager, that said, I suggest you update BIOS, Chipset and Graphics card drivers from the HP website: click here to find and install the same.

And let me know if that helps with improved camera quality.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.