Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Irwinz Honor Student
Honor Student
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

When turn on FreeSync, сan't change Brightness, Contrast, Saturation. HP Pavilion 27q 1HR73AA

Hello.

Just bought the same model — HP Pavilion 27q 1HR73AA, manufactured June 2018. While being pleased with overall quality of the product, I was really confused by FreeSync option behavior. To turn it on you need to go into Game viewing mode, which simultaneously rises brightness to 90 and contrast to 80. And display switches profile to Custom after adjusting brightness to acceptable level (with extremely powerful LEDs of this particular model even brightness set to 30 shines like a sun), then turns FreeSync off after going into sleep or being turned off and then on.
Tying FreeSync feature to fixed viewing conditions seems as confusing as kitchen water outlet tied to light switch. With use case like "playing game, setting it on pause, brewing some tea, returning to PC to wake up display" the need to go through the process of selecting gaming viewing mode, lowering brightness again, then setting FreeSync again in GPU drivers (as GPU doesn't recognize the display as FreeSync capable outside of gaming viewing mode) is rather frustrating.

Keeping display permanently on and lit seems against HP warranty, that specifically warns about possible burn-ins after prolonged display of the same picture.

Would really like to be able to turn on FreeSync permanently with dedicated option decoupled from brightness/contrast/color tuning. If FreeSync stayed on every time I power on my PC or wake up the display, that would make me quite happy with this product. I considered Dell's and Benq's models for the same sRGB coverage and build quality, and FreeSync was an option that gave HP 27q an edge over other choices. And finding it working that peculiar is somehow disappointing.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
16,828 16,681 1,111 1,759
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

When turn on FreeSync, сan't change Brightness, Contrast, Saturation. HP Pavilion 27q 1HR73AA

@Irwinz,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I checked the specifications of the monitor and see that your monitor doesn’t support free sync.

Please refer to the below link for the monitor specifications.

https://support.hp.com/za-en/product/hp-pavilion-27-inch-displays/7274719/model/18585148/document/c0...

Hope that answers your question and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Irwinz Honor Student
Honor Student
3 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello.

Thanks for your reply and thanks for protecting your second line of support from inadequate questions.

If I bought the monitor without FreeSync and was worrying about FreeSync not working that would be quite unreasonable. However, that's not the case.

Please check https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-pavilion-27q-display — another official HP page. It specifically advertises FreeSync as one of monitor's features.

clipboard_image_0.png

And FreeSync is not mentioned in specification on the very same page. I guess it was omitted when filling specifications for the first time and then the same table was copied across various HP sites.

But display does support FreeSync, which is also mentioned in its menu, which you can see on the photo I've just taken:

clipboard_image_2.png

That's why I, along with original topic starter, ask if there is any possibility — through firmware update etc. — to separate frame rate regulation feature, which FreeSync is, from color options like brightness, contrast and temperature. So we can turn FreeSync on and be sure it stays on unless we go through menu and turn it off. As for now every time I want to start a game I need to check through video driver whether FreeSync is still on or display decided to turn it off on its own because I changed some unrelated settings like brightness and contrast.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
16,828 16,681 1,111 1,759
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Irwinz,

There is no firmware available for the monitor. However, I recommend you contact support to further diagnose the issue.

Here is how you can get in touch with support.

1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation