Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Video card
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there,

My computer which is built from indiviual components suddenly upgraded to windows 10 by itself. Now the display is not good and I have tried to alter the settings but then the display is even worse. The display adapter that has loaded is Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. I do not know the name of the video card in my computer but it has a sticker on it that says "HP Part No: 5188-4289". Does anyone know the name of the video card and if there is a Windows 10 64 bit driver for it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you both for your attempts to sort out my problem. Unfortunately installing the driver made no difference so I will need to replace the video card.

I was completely happy with how my PC was set up with Win7. I am not happy with the problems that the upgrade to win10 caused. In addition we have all wasted so much time, not to mention the expense.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

I checked that part number.  It is identified as HP RADEON X1300S.  That is an old unsupported graphics card.  There seem to be some fiddle room with old drivers but the last one to actually be supported was for Vista and Windows 7:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=vc_68237_1&swEnvOid=2096

Probably time to replace that card with a newer component.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Hi:

See if manually installing the graphics driver TheOldMan posted works for you.

Download and run the driver.  You may get an unsupported operating system error.

Close out of any error windows.

Go to the device manager and click to expand the display adapters device category.

Click on the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.

Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update Driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option and browse to the driver folder that was created when you ran the file.

That folder will be located in C:\SWSetup\sp42394.

Make sure the Include Subfolders box is checked and see if the graphics driver installs that way.

Then restart the PC.

HP Recommended

Thank you both for your attempts to sort out my problem. Unfortunately installing the driver made no difference so I will need to replace the video card.

I was completely happy with how my PC was set up with Win7. I am not happy with the problems that the upgrade to win10 caused. In addition we have all wasted so much time, not to mention the expense.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.