03-19-2017 03:44 PM
I would like to add a second monitor to my HP P6654Y desktop. Looks like I will need a splitter though as there doesn't look like an available plug in.
03-19-2017 07:48 PM
Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!
If by "splitter" you mean a Y-cable that splits the existing video cable into two cables -- that will not work. All that will do is put the same display on both of the screens, essentially mirroring the original screen.
You need each video cable running from a separate jack on the PC.
If your PC does not have a VGA or HDMI output jack to connect a second cable, then you can spend $40 USD or so to purchase a USB-to-VGA adapter. This allows you to connect a monitor to a video cable, that cable to the adapter, and the adapter to a USB port on your PC.
I use one of these on my desktop to run a third monitor and it works great.
***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
- Downloading or Updating Software and Drivers for HP Computers
- HP PCs - Sleep and Hibernate Issues (Windows 10, 8)
- HP PCs - Error Messages Display on a Black Screen during Startup or Boot (Windows 10, 8, 7)
- HP PCs - Error Messages Display on a Blue Screen during Startup or Boot (Windows 10, 8, 7)
- HP PCs - Troubleshooting Touch Screen Issues (Windows 10, 8)