Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion All-in-One 27-xa0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Computer won't go into sleep mode since I bought it. 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @campbsc

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the sleep mode issue.

Let's try these steps -

Step 1 Hard Reset -

1) Shut down the computer, then disconnect the power cord from the rear of the computer.
2) Press and hold down the power button for at least 10 seconds, then release it. The power light indicator might turn on briefly then go out.
3) Reconnect the power cord, then turn on the computer to confirm if the issue is resolved. 

Step 2 Enable the keyboard to wake the computer - 

1) In Windows, search for and open the Device Manager.

2) Click the arrow next to Keyboards, and then double-click the name of your keyboard.

3) Click the Power management tab.

4) Select the box next to Allow this device to wake the computer. Click ok.

Step 3 Windows Updates troubleshooter - 

Click on this link to run Windows Updates troubleshooter.

Step 4 Windows Updates -  

1) In the search box, type and open Windows Updates.

2) Check for updates.

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

Step 5 HP Support Assistant Updates -  

1) In the search box, type and open HP Support Assistant.

2) Check for updates.

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

Step 6 Troubleshoot using the Windows Power troubleshooter - 

1) In Windows, search for and open the Control Panel.

2) In the Control Panel Search field, type troubleshooting.

3) Click Troubleshooting.

4) In the System and Security area, click Improve power usage.

5) Click Next to run the troubleshooting tool. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Nothing solved the problem.  This computer still won’t go into sleep mode.  Which is a real problem.  I can’t use a computer like this.  I paid enough to get a properly functioning computer.

What are my options to get a computer that functions properly?

HP Recommended

@campbsc

Appreciate you trying the steps. Please back-up the data and try re-installing the operating system - 

1. Shutdown the computer. 
2. Turn the computer back on again and repeatedly tap on the ESC until a Startup menu appears. 
3. Press F11 once for System Recovery. 
4. Choose the Keyboard Layout. 
5. Click on Troubleshoot. 
6. Go to Recovery Manager and click on System Recovery. 
Note : Back-up all your data as System Recovery will delete everything that you had saved or installed on the computer. 

Let me know. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This is unbelievable.  I spent two hours of my own time trying to fix the problem.  Another 30 minutes on your solutions.  Now I am supposed to spend another two hours re-installing windows??  I paid full retail price for the computer.  I was told the computer was ready to go out of the box.  But that's not true.  I am required to spend over four hours getting this computer ready.  My time is not free!!!  I do not have the time to spend fixing a computer that was not set up properly by HP.  Given the price of the machine and the time I spent, I can't afford to buy any more HP products.  Thankfully there are many other products on the market.

HP Recommended

Hi @campbsc

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.