Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
510-p117c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

new computer, can't find drive E? get no pop up or anything when I insert a cd or dvd.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @ch425,

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that the E drive is not detected on your computer.

Let's go through a few steps to troubleshoot this issue.

And here's the step by step guide for you in the link: CD/DVD Drive Is Not Detected (Windows 10, 😎

Note: You may try the steps 1 to 7 in the above document.

Let me know how this works.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Rainbow23, thanks for info. I had found and tried the HP Customer Support, "The CD/DVD drive does not appear" prior to your recommendation.  The problem I encountered with that was my computer would not boot to the Bios Setup Utility. After much frustration in attempting to resolve the issue myself, I used  the online chat feature of HP support and allowed an HP tech remote access to my computer. He was able to resolve the issue (I believe) by installing CyberLink Power Media 14 Player on my computer. However, I am still having issues.  When inserting a cd or dvd, I do not get a new screen indicating that a disc has been inserted. I have to manually open the CyberLink Player. I have been able to view one dvd and play one cd in its entirety but since then I am unable to play a dvd or listen to a cd. Per the dvd, the player will indicate the title of the dvd but will not play it. Per the cd, the player will only sometimes recognise the cd but then will state that drive is not located or that no disc is installed. I will contact HP support via chat or phone again in hope of resolving this issue. Meanwhile, if you have any other thoughts or advise, please post. Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi @ch425,

Thank you for your reply, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that the issue still persists after following the steps provided in the previous interaction.

You may check the link: Resolving DVD and Blu-ray Movie Problems (Windows 10, 😎

Let me know if this works.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Rainbow23, As I stated in my 2nd post, I was unable to complete the steps outlined in the CD/DVD Drive is not detected (Windows 10, 😎 link. I will open the ResolvingDVD and Blue-ray Movie Problems (Windows 10-8) as you have suggested and attempt to resolve the issue there. Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi @ch425,

You are welcome.

I understand that you will try the steps provided in the HP document later and get back to us.

Please follow the steps and let us know the results. I also appreciate your time and patience.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.