Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

Can a second monitor be hooked up?  I have a hdmi vga adapter and was able to hook up an old flat screen monitor.  I got a new monitor and get nothing.  I only ran old monitor a few days and hadn't used it for a week.  After new monitor didn't show anything I went and hooked old one back up and got nothing.  When I go to screen resolution screen I get "another display not connected". ?????

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi GMON,

Try the steps in this HP Support document:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03065033

I hope this helps.

...an HP employee just trying to help where I can, but not speaking on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Thanks, but that does not help.  When I am in control panel all I get is another display not detected.  I have tried plugging hdmi/vga adapter into various hdmi ports with no luck.  one would think it should be straight forward, and it was the first time I did it, but now, not so much.

GMON

HP Recommended

I'm a little confused. I don't belive this PC has HDMI ports. It has USB. Is your adapter a USB to VGA adapter?

Have you tried running a Microsoft System Restore to role your PC settings back to before this started?

...an HP employee just trying to help where I can, but not speaking on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

You are correct / my mistake.  It has usb 2.0 and 3.0 ports.  I am going to uninstall driver/software for adaptor and see what I get.  I am also going to try usb/vga adaptor  with monitor on my laptop to see what i get.  Both computers are running Win8.

HP Recommended

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!!!  Uninstalled and re-installed vga adapter software.  Back up and running.

HP Recommended

Excellent. Glad to hear it's working. I was just going to ask you if you had tried uninstalling and reinstalling or looking for an updated Win 8 driver.

HP Recommended
I broke the screen on my hp 23 all in one desk top can it be replaced and can I cone t a moniter till I get it fixed
HP Recommended

I think you should be able to get the screen replaced, but I'm not sure of the cost or process for that. You could call HP to find out for sure.

In the meantime, you should be able to extend/clone your desktop to another monitor by following the steps in this HP document (likely using a USB Graphics adapter if your PC doesn't have a video out connection):

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03065033

I hope this helps.

HP Recommended

I've had similar issues related to this thread. I finally hooked up the second moniter following this advice. Using a vga to usb adapter. My issue is, I can't adjust the screen resolution on the second moniter. It is 800x600 and no way to change it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.