Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
h8-1040
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I  have an HP H8-1040 and I want to upgrade the video card. I have seen a post for the same thing but it is 5 years old. 

The Nvidia gtx 660  that was recommended does not seem to be made anymore. I just got a 650 watt power supply installed. In 2020,  Is there a 4gb or higher video card that will work in my computer

Thank you 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

You will have to see if you can get a used but tested and working GTX 660 on eBay.

Your PC's BIOS will not support the newer Nvidia GTX 700 and newer cards, because it only goes to revision 7.12, and to install a newer graphics card than the Nvida 600 series requires the BIOS revision be 8.1x or newer.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

You will have to see if you can get a used but tested and working GTX 660 on eBay.

Your PC's BIOS will not support the newer Nvidia GTX 700 and newer cards, because it only goes to revision 7.12, and to install a newer graphics card than the Nvida 600 series requires the BIOS revision be 8.1x or newer.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the super fast response.....So I can put 

EVGA GeForce GTX 660 SUPERCLOCKED 2048MB GDDR5 DVI HDMI DP Graphics Card 02G-P4-2662-KR in my computer...right ?

Forward
HC

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, that model card should work if your PC's power supply has the supplemental power connector. that goes to the video card.

HP Recommended

You saved me a lot of time !...and I learned something in the process....thanks again !

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.