PaulBaldowski
4 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

"Check Video Cable" on All-in-One

HP Recommended
HP ENVY All-in-One - 27-b014
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

There's an intermittant problem with my HP ENVY All-in-One - in that the screen goes blank without warning or explanation, then after it a moment it comes back, displays a "Check Video Cable" message and then returns (almost) to normal. While the screen is blank, nothing else works. If I'm typing and the screen goes blank, there's nothing new typed. It appears that the PC becomes completely non-responsive - it isn't just the monitor failing.

Once the PC comes back on, it acts like keyboard buttons have been pressed - like hitting INSERT or sometimes CAPS LOCK. Even when they haven't been touched. It happened ten minutes ago and the HP ENVY All-in-One acted like it had CAPS LOCK ON. When I hit the CAPS LOCK button, the key showed the light for ON, but typed like it was OFF (i.e. all lowercase characters).

I noted on searching the forum that this individual had the same problem, the same keyboard issue afterward and the same intermittant experience:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Video-Display-and-Touch/quot-Check-Video-Cable-quot-on-All-in-...

And then I found this issue:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/HP-Workspace/Hotkey-issue-Check-Video-Cable/m-p/6534149/highlight/true...

Now, hitting Ctrl + Shift + S + D does do what this article says - it blanks the screen and makes the keyboard do weird things. This doesn't feel like a good feature to have. In principle, that means every time I touch type a capital S or D with my roaming fingers a slightly depression on the lower edge of Shift could hit Ctrl as well and WHAM! My monitor blanks out and the keyboard goes crazy.

How can this be fixed? Why would this be built into the system/hardware?

2 REPLIES 2
DavidSMP
Retired
Retired
12,360 12,338 1,169 2,509
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@PaulBaldowski,

Welcome to the Hp support forums. I have reviewed the post.

I will send a private post assist you with the next course of action. Check your forum private message box in the upper right corner next to the bell icon.

Thanks and have a blessed day ahead.

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Drmrpd
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have the same problem!!! Help please!!!

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation