Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion Elite
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Why does my hp computer with my hp monitor not detect my second hp monitor which is connected with a cable?   I have followed the standard procedure which is the same in every source and the detect command never answers.   There must be some other setting or action which no source or set of instructions ever mentions.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@KieferIndiana 

What is your Pavilion Elite  Is it a desktop or laptop/notebook ? How do you connect them ? What is the cable ?

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you for replying; I did not expect a reply so soon.

My computer is a Pavilion Elite HPE-000 Series Model # HPE-400y.

My primary monitor is a HP ZR2440w.

My (intended) second monitor is a HP 2009m.

The cable between HP 2009m and the computer's secondary DVI port is DVI-D dual link both ends.

When I try to "detect" the second monitor (turned on) there is never an answer -- the computer does not find it and does not say it could not find it; it just sits there.

Thanks for any help you can give.

HP Recommended

@KieferIndiana 

The specs of your machine is

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-elite-hpe-400-desktop-pc-series/4269972/model/43118...

It is a 10 years old machine. With it ORIGINAL specs, it supports with Windows 7:

• Integrated graphics using ATI Radeon 4200
  • Integrated graphics: concurrent use of the DVI and VGA ports is supported.

And we are talking 10 years old monitors here. You can use

• one monitor on DVI port and
  • one monitor on VGA port (no conversion)

Did you upgrade anything ? from its original specs ?

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Banhien, thank you for the info you provided.

1. You asked if I upgraded anything from original specs.  The only upgrade is Windows 10 instead of Windows 7, and Microsoft itself initiated that upgrade.  Does Windows 10 require some setting somewhere to be changed to allow use of a second monitor?

2. You said orig specs of my computer included video card ATI Radeon HD5450, but my computer lists the original card as ADM Radeon HD5450.  Is this relevant to the problem?

3. Since monitor 2009m works perfectly as an only monitor connected to the above card but elicits no response at all when plugged into back panel i/o ports as a potential second monitor, is it possible both back ports are not actually wired in?  I opened the case and found both apparently attached to the motherboard but that was all I could determine.  Is there a simple way to determine if they are "live"?  (By "no response" I mean clicking "detect" brings no response -- no other monitor is found and there is no statement that none was found -- the computer just sits there as long as I let it.)

Thank you for your help; it is most frustrating when a computer does not do what it says it will.

HP Recommended

Banhien, are you still there?

I answered your questions; please respond; my problem remains.

KieferIndiana

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.