Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 21 (25,578 Views)

spectre X360 trackpad

Product Name: HP Spectre x360
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Greetings,

I just bought the HP spectre x360 with the i7 processor, and I've tried over 100 times to register a right click on the trackpad and it has failed to do every single time. I have read several articles complaning about the width being the problem to the right click, but mine has failed to register. period. I went into the control panel to try to disable it then enable once again in hopes to it working, but nothing has changed. I have only been able to register a "right click" by holding down on the touchscreen which is fairly inconvienent. I would like to see this problem fixed because I do enjoy everything else about this laptop, but that is a major flaw for me.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Master's Graduate
Message 2 of 21 (25,546 Views)

Re: spectre X360 trackpad

Hello,

When did the issue start for you with the right click funtionality problem?

I am an HP employee.
Make it easier for others to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.
Honor Student
Message 3 of 21 (25,536 Views)

I just bought the laptop yesterday. I restarted it two times and on the 2nd restart I finally recieved response from it. It's worked more often than not but there still has been instances where it's failed to work properly.
Honor Student
Message 4 of 21 (25,463 Views)

I am also having this problem. A reviewer on recode said that HP sent them an update that fixed this problem. Can you send that update to us too? I might have to return the computer otherwise

Master's Graduate
Message 5 of 21 (25,442 Views)

Hello,

For the latest update the easiest way to use the HP Support Assistant.

To access  application go to start screen and check under HP apps for HP Support Assistant

1.png

Once loaded choose Updates an tune-ups then check for updates now

3.PNG

select the updates then  choose download and install selected updates

4.PNG

Let them install and restart as needed.

5.PNG

If you wish you can select the latest updates by going to www.hp.com/go/support selecting  drivers & downloads and putting in your product number.

I am an HP employee.
Make it easier for others to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.
Honor Student
Message 6 of 21 (25,434 Views)

Thank you so much for your help! The problem has been fixed. I greatly appreciate it.

Tutor
Message 7 of 21 (25,216 Views)

I ran the HP support assistant and installed all the updates.

Still having issues with both the right click and the left click. 

Please advise what to do as this is EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING.

Thanks

Honor Student
Message 8 of 21 (24,973 Views)

I have this problem also.  I love everything else about this laptop, but it's almost unusable due to a horrible trackpad. Besides being far too big, it misses about 30% of my clicks, especially right clicks.  Even worse, it frequently interprets a right click as a left, or vice versa.  Please help us!

Tutor
Message 9 of 21 (24,966 Views)

rkarlberg, I ended up exchanging the laptop at the best buy I purchased it at. After trying everything and scouring the Internet I determined it was a bad trackpad.

What I did to determine this is I went into the synaptics touchpad settings and changed the "quickbar icon" I think it's called (the icon that appears on the bottom right of windows) to the active display one (don't have the laptop with me or I would tell you the exact word) which basically shows a little icon where the red synaptic one used to be, but now it should look like a mini trackpad. It will show where you touch it and when buttons are pressed. It will show a yellow dash when it's detecting a soft ware defined button press for left or right click (For example two finger tap should register a yellow bar on the right side for right click, double tap for a yellow bar on the left for left click) it will show a GREEN bar when it detects a physical button push of the right and left click and should show it left for left and right for right.

I determined mine was bad because I could only get it to show a green bar on the left side ONCE out of around 100 right clicks.. so it didn't register and when it did it was on the wrong side... Fail.

I would advise you try this and if it is not too late exchange it for another one. The new one I have has no issues.

HP it seems released a bunch of these crappy touchpads out when they should not have. To be honest I find it unacceptable that they stuck this touchpad that ALREADY had problems in the last spectre laptop they built into this one.

Hopefully you can exchange yours as I would hate to waste my time with HP's support as you are the first to reply to my question.. Pathetic.
Honor Student
Message 10 of 21 (24,951 Views)

Thanks for that info, I changed my icon and it helps a lot to be able to see the clicks like that.  Mine is not as bad - I'm getting 80 to 90 working out of 100 right clicks.  I'd rather not exchange now because I've spent about 40 hours just setting up all the software I need...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation