Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 2207h monitor
Microsoft Windows Vista (64-bit)

My HP monitor has not been starting up properly for several months now. When it first occurred, the monitor refused to start when its power button was depressed. I noticed a “clicking or popping” sound and could see that the blue power light was cycling off and on at short intervals. After awhile the monitor did come on; however, as time (weeks) went by the monitor continued to click and not open the start screen. When this happened I pressed the sleep keyboard button on and off again and for some reason, the monitor eventually would come on.

The monitor is not connected to a TV, it is only connected to the computer by VGA cable. I figured the problem could possibly be something to do with either the sleep mode or screen saver settings, so I checked the power options and found that both the “Turn off the display”, and “Put the computer to sleep” settings had never selected as their option. I ran the HP Hardware Diagnostic Tools for the monitor, but the tests were only good for alignment, color, brightness, etc.  I also checked to see if it needed a driver updated through the following process: Computers>Properties>Tasks>Device Manager, then clicking Other Devices and double-clicking Monitor; under the General tab it displayed the message, “this device is working properly”.  

After a few more weeks time passed by, the sleep button trick stopped working, and I tried leaving the monitor on at night with the computer turned off. When the computer was turned back on the next day, the monitor resumed the clicking sound again, but still it would eventually come on.

At this present time I have resorted to pressing the sleep key again when the monitor doesn't start on its own, so far with successful startups, but I am fearful that it will cease to start.

Does anyone know a solution to this problem?

The computer is an HP Pavillion a6637c-b desktop PC with an HP w2207h, 22-inch LCD flat panel monitor with the Automatic Portrait Rotation feature. The O.S. is a Windows Home Premium, 64 bit edition. The computer has 5 GB memory and 640 GB hard drive. I will supply more hardware or software information if needed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @oldognutrix,

Yes, it sound like it is the monitor.

Please use the following http://www.hp.com/contacthp and create a case for your issue and contact HP. If you live outside the US/Canada, please click the link below to get the contact information for your region.
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hi there @oldognutrix,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts and other support personnel. I understand you are having an issue with the monitor not starting. I will be glad to help you.

Here are some documents that may help.

Monitor is Blank

Computer Starts but Monitor Remains Blank (Windows 10, 😎

Please keep me informed of how things went. If you require further assistance, let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help you.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution".
To simply say thanks, click the Thumbs up below! :generic:

Thanks.

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
HP Recommended

Hi Tardis40,

I tried the steps of the two links you posted and also went through troubleshooting and user guides at HP support online for this specific monitor. None of the steps helped my issue or dealt with it directly. I don't get any error messages, nor do I get any beeps. OSD Lockout  is not an issue, the wiring and pins are fine, and the display--once the monitor comes on is as good as new.

The monitor power light initially turns blue when the button is depressed, stays that way a couple seconds and then there is an audible click or pop and the light fades out, another second or two pass and the light comes back on. This cycle continues until the light stays on and then the Password screen appears. Of course the monitor screen is blank before the monitor actually turns on, but it is related to the power switch somehow, not graphics or resolution.

Sometimes, when the power light fades out, and then as it turns blue again I can depress the Sleep key and if it connects the power light will go yellow, then I can wiggle the mouse or hit the escape key and the monitor "wakes up" and the Password screen will appear.

So my monitor is not bad, but it does have a serious startup problem. I am open to more suggestions; some people tell me I should just get another monitor, but I am partial to this one.

HP Recommended

Hi @oldognutrix,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Did you try step in first post?

What happened when tried different monitor?

Were yoy able to try different computer? If so what happened?

PLease get back to me. 

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Sorry about the length of time in replying back to you. I "borrowed" my wife's monitor and hooked it up. When turned on it starts up promptly which is great, but I'll have to unhook, and return it to her Compaq. However, that does show that the problemis in the w2207h monitor itself doesn't it?  

*Note-- In a former post I said that the montor power button would make a click or pop sound and the blue light would fade out.  That was an incorrect statement, the reverse would be more true, the power button would cycle from: no visible light showing, then a popping sound would precede the light coming on.

Left on its own the monitor would come on, but the wait time could vary from a few minutes to over an hour.

Again, I apologize for the response time, but if you have any ideas to share I anxiously await them.

HP Recommended

Hi @oldognutrix,

Yes, it sound like it is the monitor.

Please use the following http://www.hp.com/contacthp and create a case for your issue and contact HP. If you live outside the US/Canada, please click the link below to get the contact information for your region.
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for the superfast response Tardis40; I will work with the link you supplied to contacthp and I will click on "Accept as a solution" as well.

Cheers :TongueOut:

HP Recommended
My exact monitor is doing the same...with the popping sounds and periodic blue lights. My pc went out after a power outage and this began shortly after. I tried it with two laptops and it worked fine. Ive just received my new tower and it doesnt work again. The popping sounds are back. Ive tried the power outlet options suggested previously, as well as inspected cables, etc. Everything appears fine. I got this monitor the day it hit the shelves in the stores and have never had an issue with it...or any other HP product over the years (ducking). I have had it for a while. I replaced two other brands (both starting with A) towers since my last HP ...the one I purchased when this was new. Both of those only lasted a few of years. My HP towers have always lasted between 8-10 years. My reasons for trying other brands was simply $.
Lesson learned for me. Regardless, did you ever find a fix? I have tried everything I could without changing settings in pc (due to lack of visual). I am desperate here. Cannot afford a monitor and adult kids took laptops back to school.

Thanks all!
HP Recommended

I know this is an old post but I am having almost the same problem that moniter is taking a long time to start. No popping sounds but the blue light turns to orange intermitantly. It has been starting in about 15 to 30 min.  But this last time was way longer. I noticed that the moniter will get pretty warm when operating so I got a hair dryer and warmed it up the in about 3-5 min it started. HMMMM!!!  My moniter will start up on turn on OK after a short time when I turn the computer off.  But it will take a long time to start when left off a few hours or over night.

I think it is a mechanical problem..what? capacitor?  Is there any fixing to this things? I am afraid that taking it in to a repair shop will cost more than getting a new one.

I should mention that I tried all the sleep things and what-not mentioned before.

Any ideas??

HP Recommended

Hi Charlie44,

I'm sorry to hear you experiencing the same problems.  Your experiment with the hair dryer is interesting, but I have to wonder if the timing was coincidental for the monitor starting during the process, definitely curious. The city I live in is small and completely lacking in computer/monitor repair stores. I loved the HP2207 model, in fact it is still in storage, but like you I expected a repair (if even available) would cost as much or more than a new monitor. HP services could likely repair it, but again the cost of shipping aolne is prohibitive added to repair costs, plus time with no monitor.

I gave in and purchase another plain-Jane HP monitor 3 years back; it is still going strong but now my HP tower is 9 to 10 years aged and displaying signs of advanced "old timers disease". 

Truly wish I had good advice for a simple and cost effective fix; however, I would suggest the purchase of a new monitor.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.