aflac7
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

webcam displays grey image only

HP Recommended
HP Envy 360 x360 Convertible 13-ay0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Video-Display-and-Touch/HP-Integrated-Wbcam-Not-Working-Grey-S...

i have the same issue as detailed on the link pasted above.  All the suggested steps followed, plus HP support (very good once I got through) asked me to update BIOS and reinstall W10.

It has made no difference

Suggestion is it is a hardware issue and laptop will need to be returned.

Third party camera via USB works fine !!

Any ideas

3 REPLIES 3
Prométhée
Level 16
Level 16
6,161 6,089 676 2,480
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello
sorry, I do not have time to read all the subject that is indicated
If you've tried everything, it doesn't work, another webcam works, there isn't much we can tell you more
So I don't know if this was suggested, test with different webcam capture software !?
Otherwise, all you have to do is contact the support service in your country if you want to have your computer repaired!
Simple opinion, personal
If your computer works fine, other than that
That you have a better webcam, maybe don't take the risk of waiting a while, just for that!
I know it can be confusing as a suggestion, but seeing some issue here and there, I don't know if it's worth it, do you understand what I mean?

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

was this reply helpful , or just say "thank you " ? Click on the yes button

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
aflac7
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for responding - I was contacting the community to see if anyone else may know a solution to save me having to invoke a warranty return.

Using a third party camera software made no difference

Using a third party camera is fine, but not ideal if you are moving / travelling.

If anyone else would like to be more helpful than Prometee-  please feel free

Cheers

Prométhée
Level 16
Level 16
6,161 6,089 676 2,480
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry, but I doubt there is a solution, if everything has already been tested
So I did not see if this was proposed and done in the previous link!
But one thing is certain, if the computer has been factory reinstalled and the webcam is not working, something is wrong.
The webcam, should work without needing to change anything, apart from an update of the driver, or software if it is for example the software which has a defect
If as stated, no matter what software you use, it doesn't work, it is probably from the webcam!
Do not waste time, hoping for a response from another user, which may never arrive

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

was this reply helpful , or just say "thank you " ? Click on the yes button

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation