Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

When using google meet or zoom or just when I try to get my camera to work, all I see is a black screen.  It was working fine and then I was using google meet the other day and it just started displaying a black screen

36 REPLIES 36
HP Recommended

This is also happening to me with Telehealth, Zoom, YouTube streaming live video attempts. I have run all possible diagnostics and the HP helper system as well as Microsoft Windows Updates say everything is working just fine and it is NOT!

I downloaded the only camera driver available in the HP updates list for my computer - it's an HP Envy all-in-one PC 27-b0XX Serial number 8CQ64504VS  Windows 10 Home 64bit Version 18363.752.  Webcam still not working. [Yes I selected the only camera available in the pull down menu = HP High Definition 1MP Webcam.]

Sometimes the screen stays black only or the center camera white light comes on  and video streams for a few seconds then goes back to frozen image or black. I do have the most updated version of Zoom and Telehealth downloaded too.

I'd really appreciate your help because I am in Massachusetts, working from home for a business that is considered essential while we are in "social distancing" shut down and my IT department will not support me since it's a Home computer and not "theirs". 

Thanks and be well!

HP Recommended

Same issue - black screen in webcam - video or still image capture . Have run diagnostics , HP Help system including hard re-boot and downloaded updated drivers from HP and Microsoft . No success with Zoom , Skype etc . Sound fine but no pics . Please respond 

HP Recommended

@rcreeves007 & @kiwi1951 I will need the complete model name of your devices to help you, refer to the below note for details:

Note: Please ensure the complete product name/number for a quicker response from the community, as we need to know what we are dealing with to provide an accurate solution: 

Click here for steps on finding the information we need!

Remember: Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

Meanwhile, try the below steps, relevant most to @macarr22 (look for a webcam kill switch, if that's turned on, or not available, try the below steps)

You can open webcam software, such as YouCam, Skype, or Live Messenger, but video does not display in the main viewing window. Use the following steps, in the order they are presented, until the webcam video displays in your webcam software:

Step 1: Make sure the webcam is the selected video/capture device for your webcam software

Your webcam must be selected as the video capture device in your webcam software. If the computer has multiple video input sources, your webcam software might be connected to something other than your webcam.

To select the webcam as your video source, open your webcam software and look for video camera, video source, or video caption in the software's properties or preferences. Here are some common examples of selecting the webcam as the video source:

NOTE: 

The name of your webcam might display as USB Video Device, HP Webcam, USB 2.0 Camera, HP Pavilion Webcam, or similar. If you do not know the name, select a name to see if video displays. If not, try selecting other video device names until you see the video from your webcam display in the window.

Using CyberLink YouCam

1. In YouCam, click the Settings icon, then click the Configureicon.

2. Select the name of your webcam from the Capture Device drop-down list.

Image: CyberLink example

3. Select OK, and then restart the YouCam application to view an image.

Using Skype

NOTE: 

These steps pertain to Skype version 5. The version on your computer might be different.

1. In Windows, search for and open Skype.

2. In Skype, click Tools, and then click Options.

3. Click Video Settings from the left side of the page.

4. Select the name of your webcam from the Select webcam list.

Image: Setting the webcam in Skype

5. When the video displays in the pane, click Save.

Step 2: Restart the computer to correct webcam problems

The webcam might be associated with another software program or not responding. Often, simply restarting the computer can correct the problem. Restart the computer, and then open your webcam software as soon as Windows finishes loading.

If restarting the computer does not correct this problem, continue troubleshooting.

Step 3: Update or change the webcam driver

Some software applications might require updated drivers for your webcam to display video or they might need a more basic driver. Use the following steps to change the driver for your webcam:

1. Go to the HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads page.

2. If a Let's identify your product to get started page displays, click Laptop or Desktop.

3. Type the model name for your computer in the Or, enter your serial number field, and then click Submit. For example, type Pavilion HPE h8-1360t Desktop, and then click Submit.

Type the model name for your HP computer in the search field

4. If a Matching products web page opens, select your model number from the list.

5. The software results page for your computer displays with the default operating system selected. If you need to change the operating system, click Change, select your version, and then click Change.

NOTE: 

If you cannot find the operating system you want in the list, HP does not have drivers for that operating system.

Change your computer operating system

6. From the list of available software and driver categories, find the webcam driver.

• If a webcam driver update is available from HP, download the file to your computer and install the software according to the instructions on the webpage. After updating, restart the computer, and then try using your software again. If the problem persists, continue using these steps to install a generic Windows USB video driver.

• If a webcam driver is not available from HP or you cannot access the Internet, continue using these steps to install a generic Windows USB Video driver.

7. In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.

8. Double-click Imaging Devices to expand the list of webcam drivers.

Image: Imaging Devices

• If there is no imaging devices category listed in Device Manager, stop using these steps and see the section Webcam is not listed in Device Manager in this document.

• If more than one webcam driver is listed, right-click the driver and select uninstall for any driver that is not the HP Webcam-101 or Microsoft USB Video Device driver. Once the other drivers have been removed, restart your computer and open your software. If problems persist, continue using these steps.

9. Right-click the name of the webcam in the Images Devices category (HP Webcam-101 or Microsoft USB Video Device), and select Update Driver Software.

10. Click Browse the computer to select a specific USB Video Device driver.

Double-click Imaging Devices to expand the list of webcam drivers, right-click the webcam driver, and then select Properties.

Image: Properties

Make a note of the existing name of the webcam driver (Example: HP Webcam), as it might change after the update.

11. On the Webcam Properties window, select Update Driver....

12. Select to Browse the computer for the desired driver.

13. Click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.

14. Remove the selection from Show compatible hardware.

15. Select Microsoft in the Manufacturer field, and select USB Video Device in the Model field.

16. Click Next to install the webcam driver.

17. Allow the installation of the USB Video Device, and then click Close.

18. After the device has been updated to USB Video Device in Device Manager, restart your computer and open your software.

If problems persist, install the latest BIOS update from HP and get all the latest Windows updates from Microsoft.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us, 

have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks Riddle

I have an HP Pro One 400 G4 23.8in NTOA1O desktop purchased from reputable ,HP authorised dealer in NZ. Product ID 00325-96574-52747-AAOEM . Camera is HP2.0mp HD. Unable to establish serial number as there is no data label on back of unit . HP WhatsApp help desk ran me through win+r > cmd>wmic bios process but serial number not identifiable .

Thanks for your advice - will have a crack at this later today and let you know how I get on  How  would I find a webcam kill switch ?

HP Recommended

@kiwi1951 The HP Pro One 400 G4 is classified as a Commercial product.

For information on this product, please contact our Commercial Support Team by filling the web form using this link - www.hp.com/contacthp

- On that page, where it says to enter my HP model number, enter your product details and click on find my product

- On the next page, it will ask you to enter your basic details and the description of the issue.

- Once you have filled that, click on show options.

- It will give you phone support option.

- Once you select that it will give you a case number and a phone number to contact. 

They should be able to help you out,

Good luck!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi

The light on my desktop camera comes on but no picture or video

HP Recommended

HELP!!!!!!

HP Recommended

HP ENVY X360 Convertable

SOLVED:   I have searched everywhere for the answer including forums, online HP support, HP service center and more.  I have updated all Windows software and apps.  I have updated the BIOS.  I have tried to add the Webcam manually.  Device Manager does not show a webcam.  No avail.  No webcam.  Was told it is a hardware failure and need it replaced.  The issue was a very small switch on the side of the laptop the switches off the camera and prevents device manager from seeing it.  Call me stupid for not looking first but I was super surprised after all my searching that this was not mentioned as an option.  Just want to pass it along since there are a lot of posts online about camera not being recognized.

HP Recommended

Camera is not working at all!! Camera does NOT even appear in the Device Manager list!! Please help!!!

Bought this Laptop (HP Envy x360, Corei7) a few months ago in November, but never needed to use the camera function until this COVID-19 work-at-home change has taken place, and now we need this camera to work more than ever - frustrating, for such a new Computer!!

HP: Please HELP!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.