Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavillion
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently downloaded windows 10 to upgrade from Windows 7 and discovered Windows 10 doesn't support DVDs. Is there a way around this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If the suggestions from @Prométhée  do not work, I have heard of this happening before.  I am sorry I did not remember this before.

What I like to do, to see if the problem is Windows or the drive - I   have a Linux Live OS I load.  Reboot the PC to a live Linux and see if the DVD drives work under the live OS.  If the drive works in Linux then the problem is Windows.  See this thread for troubleshooting steps for Windows

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/cddvd-drive-not-working-after-...

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hello
I have not tested ..
but normally if we just upgrade windows 7 / windows 10, and not windows 10 by deleting everything, we can read DVDs with the software installed in windows 7!
If everything has been deleted, download DVD player software
There are free ones!
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3081704/the-windows-dvd-player-app-is-available-for-free-fo...

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

I did purchase the windows dvd player from the link.

It doesn't appear to recognize a dvd in the device, so still doesn't play.

I have a HP Pavillion serial#4CE2010FQ7

product #QW699AA#ABA

Is it possible to download media player 7 to this or are new drivers required?

HP Recommended

I also downloaded the Vlan player and still doesn't regonize a dvd in the device ,hence it doesn't play either.

Thanks for your help

HP Recommended

If by Vlan player you mean VLC, https://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

and that does not work or even recognize the DVD device, then there is either a connection problem with the drive or the drive is defective.

Look in Device Manager to see if the drive is detected in there and check the connections to the drive.  It needs a SATA connection and a power connection.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Yes, That is the device I was referring to. I went to device manager and the drives are listed. I have 2 in this tower. I also downloaded the Cyberlink 19 power Dvd. The devices also pop up when a DVD is inserted. However the devices do not recognize a DVD has been inserted. I have tried this with manufactured DVDs as well as DVDs I burned myself.

HP Recommended

I would be highly suspect that at least the DVD portion of the drive has failed.  Open VLC and then put in a DVD, then have VLC try to play it.  If that fails, then try a CD.  If both fail, replace the drive.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Hello
it seems to me that the question has not been answered:
Has the pc been installed as an update from windows 7, or is it an installation after having deleted everything?
Originally the pc had to be already equipped with cyberlink power dvd
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04222533
so it should work ..
I read that the pc is equipped with two Dvd players, but it is not original there is only one?
Maybe we should try one and then the other alone?
On the other hand I did not understand if the dvd is inserted so well indicated as a dvd and that it is the software which does not work.
or if the DVD player "SuperMulti DVD Burner drive" does not know that a DVD is in place.
please give screenshots that might help

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04222533

HP Pavilion p7-1254 Desktop PC Product Specifications

[edit]

I do the test with a pc under windows 10 of origin
I have VLC version 3.0.6 Vetinary
The DVD is introduced!

Annotation 1.png

Annotation2.png

Annotation 3.png

no problem

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

If the suggestions from @Prométhée  do not work, I have heard of this happening before.  I am sorry I did not remember this before.

What I like to do, to see if the problem is Windows or the drive - I   have a Linux Live OS I load.  Reboot the PC to a live Linux and see if the DVD drives work under the live OS.  If the drive works in Linux then the problem is Windows.  See this thread for troubleshooting steps for Windows

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/cddvd-drive-not-working-after-...

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Thank You, Ill try that, to answer your questions , I had windows 7 and ran windows 10 from the microsoft site. Both drives play cd's. I added the 2nd DVD drive after market. The players do not know that a disc is in the drive and ask me to insert a disc.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.