Did you mean: 
MURPH10
Level 1
10 5 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

1417c

HP Recommended

HP Desktop, H8-ENVY-1417c. Orig. Win 8.1, has been upgraded to Win10Home by network upgrades'

(that are completely frustrating as MS just does them when they want, often tying up computer for Days)....anyway

was working fine BUT I HAVE NO WIN 10 HOME RESTORE DISCS with the HP firmware/MS Win 10 Home on them....only old ones witnWin 8.1

So desktop was Working fine, but I had Comcast Xfinity and their HUGE square Modem/WiFi Leased for $10 month.

OrderedNetgear CM500 - 100NAS from Amazon. Got it, then Shut down, removed comcast modemwifi, and put the

CM500 in it's place. Call Comcast inform them.

IT DOES NOT CONNECT TO HSI THAT WORKED FINE 2 minutes before !! Call Comcast Support to 
provision new modem..then do so, but in the process no wired connection happens....no network at all !

Boot, and reboot per comcast support, Level 1, 2, 3, all do the same thing (provision it and activate new CM500 modem).

Ultimately, the Hard Disc seems to have corrpted LAN Firmware files, I redownloaded what was previously posted HEre yesterday -- no good -- still NO WIRED (ETHERNET) NETWORK , but WiFi I get working to an across street Comcast Xfinity WiFi,

which I am writing this on.....each time I reboot it has the Ethernet as "unidentified network" and NO INTERNET connection (even though the modem is working fine and has HSI right there --the modem is BRAND NEW 2 days ago. 

THE CM500 IS NOT BEING SEEN BY THE HP NIC....or vice versa, have uninstalled LAN, recheck everything, power cycled, ect...

I know computers and build them and this has me questioning....swap new NIC in the spare 16x PCI if I have to ..also want to put OS onSSD that is already installed and working (empty but partition is active) BUT NO RESTORE DISCS for OS Win 10 Home (would prefer Win 7 actually)..

ANY HELP?

3 REPLIES 3
A4Apollo
Retired
Retired
17,747 17,730 1,301 2,076
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi! @MURPH10, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand you have issues connecting your PC using the ethernet connection.

Don't worry I'm here to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Have you tried checking with a different ethernet cable?

Do you see a light next to the ethernet port on your PC?

As you mentioned when you connect ethernet to your PC you are getting error unidentified network and No Internet on your PC.

Try updating the BIOS on your PC and check if it helps.

Link to update the BIOS.

Also, try uninstalling the ethernet drivers from device manager and install the drivers from HP recovery manager.

In the search box on the taskbar, type Device Manager, and then select Device Manager from the list of results.
In Device Manager, select Network adapters > the network adapter name.
Press and hold (or right-click) the network adapter, and then select Uninstall device > Delete the driver software for this device check box > Uninstall.
After uninstalling the driver, select the Start button > Power  > Restart.

Refer this article to know how to restore drivers using HP recovery manager.

Also, Refer this article to further troubleshoot ethernet connection issues.

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps. It is a hardware issue with your PC.

Please contact HP support for service options.

Link to contact HP.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know if this works!

Have a great day! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
MURPH10
Author
Level 1
10 5 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Mr. Robot, I have tried your proposed resolutions, no help. The assertion it is hardware is incorrect. I went and bought a NEW USB to LAN NIC adapter and have restored SOME networking through it This is working as a workaround to my NETWORK (COMCAST HSI) brand new Modem (Netgear CM500) and brand new Router (Netgear R6900 Nighthawk) -- BUT I do need to resolve this -- It is my main desktop computer. So if you think it is hardware, does the Atheros R8161L fail much? What are the statistics on the failure rate? This is a newer computer (3+yrs. old) with i7 CPU, 12 GB RAM - 2TB hard drive. I do have a brand new, bought yesterday from Amazon, Seagate Barracuda 2TB Hard drive -- that I want to CLONE From the existing Hard drive -- BUT AGAIN, I DO NOT HAVE DVD RESTORE DISCS TO COPY THE OS ...I CANNOT DOWNLOAD IT BECAUSE IT WOULD PROBABLY TAKE DAYS I CANNOT REPEAT CANNOT LOOSE THE DATA ON THIS HARD DRIVE -- HENCE I WILL NOT USE RESTORE .. Thanks SM
0 Kudos
CF4
Level 9
5,904 5,889 206 526
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

I am a little baffled by the situation.

First I would ensure that with no external devices I could boot to an operating system.  W10 for instance.

ISO images of various Microsoft OS's are available. They can be be downloaded (sometimes you need a licence key other than the HP OEM key) and 'burnt' to a DVD or USB. They will NOT contain the appropriate HP software, like drivers etc, but will enable a repair to be started

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

For when you only have Linux etc (non MS OS) to create install media.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

Although you did not ask for it I have posted in a place to get an iso image to install W10 in the future.

Next I would want to ID the networking hardware, using the command line, if Device Manager was not providing it.

Then I perhaps would write down the Router Gateway IP address, something like 192.168.100.1

1. Launch a web browser from a computer that is attached over an Ethernet cable to the cable modem or from a computer that is connected to a WiFi router that is attached over an Ethernet cable to the cable modem.

2. Type http://192.168.100.1

Ping the address if necessary.

Then I would see if prior to this my network settings were 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 and this is the reason the network is unreachable.

I would gather info using CLI

getmac

netsh wlan show interfaces

netsh wlan show drivers

ipconfig -all

msinfo32

systeminfo

Write down the IP gateway etc and compare.

Make sure that your computer’s IP address is on the same subnet as the modem.

The IP address of your computer must be in the range of

192.168.100.2 to 192.168.100.254.

I would even question whether this modem is one of the thousands with a chipset fault.

https://www.classactionlawyers.com/puma6/

etc etc

###########################################

This bit seems important:-  Browse to http://www.routerlogin.net

If the computer is set to a static or fixed IP address
(this setting is uncommon),
change it to obtain an IP address automatically from the router.

When the router connects to the Internet, you are prompted to download and install the free
NETGEAR Desktop genie app and the free ReadySHARE Vault app.

The The procedures in this manual use ttp://www.routerlogin.net.

So do you have a mismatch?

192.168.1    .1  subnet  TO 192.168.100.1 subnet?

#############################################

I would be back to paper and pen at this point (or the netgear genie)  OR I would plug my PC directly into the Comcast device and configure it to connect straight thru.

Sort out the backup / data problem and then start over with the Netgear back in the mix.

BUY a LINUX UB or DVD and boot with that and fix the  "" that I want to CLONE From the existing Hard drive ""

clonezilla is only 200 + MB
Download of clonezilla_live_testing 2.5.2-31 (clonezilla-live-2.5.2-31-amd64.zip: 211,618,857 bytes) will begin shortly. If not so, click clonezilla-live-2.5.2-31-amd64.zip.

Whereas macrium reflect is about a gigabyte all in.

If in doubt please ask.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation