Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion All-in-One 27
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, How can i get my desktop to recognise 5ghz wifi, it will only connect to 2.4ghz band. I have checked the networking card and i believe it supports this as it shows. 802.11n 802.11g 802.11b 802.11ac 802.11n 802.11a . Is it possible to disable the 2.4ghz so it will only connect to the higher band ?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Benjohnson77 

Computer model one of

Results for "HP Pavilion All-in-One 27" (21)

In general, if your system supports both bandwidths,

Assign (on the router) a separate SSID network name for each bandwidth.

When connecting, select to connect to the SSID for 5GHz

Set your router to broadcast both 5GHz and 2.4GHz.

• Adjust the router settings to broadcast on both 5GHz AND the 2.4GHz bandwidth.
  • Give the 2.4GHz bandwidth a different SSID name. 

For example,

If your 5GHz network is named MyFancyNetwork5, 

name the 2.4 network SSID as MyFancyNetwork.  

Examples - SSID network names

SSID_Dual_Band_Example_1SSID_Dual_Band_Example_1Network_SSID_Names_1Network_SSID_Names_1

Example - Set up a new connection or network:

Control Panel > icon view > Network and Sharing Center

Set up a new connection or network

Manually connect to a wireless network

Enter the information, selecting the SSID network name for the appropriate / supported bandwidth

Select Security type WPA-Personal

Encryption type is likely "gray" and is "AES" (correct)

Security key is the wireless password you use to connect to your network wireless

Optional, and useful if you are not broadcasting the SSID on the router,

CHECK Connect even if the network is  not broadcasting

Complete the setup...

Document - Troubleshooting Wireless - Step-by-Step

HP PCs - Wireless Network and Internet Troubleshooting (Windows 10)

HP Diagnostics - HP Support Diagnostic Tools - HP Laptop Computers & Printers

Device Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Device - Solve Problems

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

Open Support Home

Enter the name of your device

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Answered? Click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi Thanks for your reply but my router does not allow you to split out the two bands, you can only switch them on or off.  If I switch off the 2.4GHz then I loose my printer as this will only connect on the 2.4GHz band width.  Is there an alternative solution ? Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

@Benjohnson77 

You are welcome.

No idea - I have never had a router that did not allow control over the SSID / network, including the naming of the supported / broadcasted bandwidths.   Odd, I think, but perhaps the lack of control is more common than I know.

There are many "all in one" systems, 21 models in the results for the information you provided.

We don't know precisely which model of computer you have - it is not included in your posts.

Finding your Product Name, Product Number, or Serial Number

Please do NOT post the serial number.

What does the User Manual say on the subject?

Interesting that there is nothing in the diagnostic results.

Creating a Manual Wireless connection appears to be useless because your router won't let you select your SSID / network / bandwidth.

Honestly, for the moment, I have no idea how to select a network when you cannot select the network connection you want.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

If you are not seeing 5Ghz networks then it's possible that your wi-fi adapter [or router] does not support 5Ghz.

RIGHT click the Windows Start button then choose Device Manager> then Network Adapters > View your Wireless Adapter Brand/Model, etc > try Googling the wireless adapters brand/model to determine it's specifications and see if it supports 5Ghz. 

If it does not support 5Ghz and it's something you really want you can always purchase a 5Ghz USB wifi adapter. 

**It would be helpful if you could specify the exact model of HP All-In-One that you have as there are different models and the specs vary.

HP Recommended

Hi , thanks for your help, I already looked at the network adaptor via the command prompt and it shows it has 5GHz capability. The exact model of my all in one desk top is Product number   5ML39EA#ABU

HP Recommended

@Benjohnson77 

OK, good to know...

Product Number5ML39EA
Product NameHP Pavilion All-in-One - 27-xa0014na

Wireless
802.11a/b/g/n/ac (2x2) Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® 4.2 M.2 combo

Another possible missing link...

Check whether you have managed to migrate your computer to Windows version Windows 2004 without having also updated your HP software and Drivers (and BIOS) to versions supported in Windows 2004.

Software and Drivers - HP Pavilion All-in-One - 27-xa0014na 

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

There are new Wireless Drivers available dated: June 15 2020 [for Windows versions 1803 and later]

You can check which Windows version you have by typing winver in the Windows search bar. 

HP Recommended

OK...

I will withdraw - we don't need two of us giving the same advice.

No worries.

Good Luck.

Stay Safe.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.