gotissues
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post

Atypical Internet Connectivity Issues

HP Recommended
HP 21-2024
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Please bear with me as it's been a few weeks since my initial troubleshooting of this issue and the need has arisen again to try and use this PC:

There was a Windows update the day before I tried a memory upgrade on the all-in-one desktop. Everything started off fine. After updates everything seemed okay and even immediately after the memory upgrade it worked fine. Since it was my first time upgrading memory, I downloaded and ran the Crucial scan to confirm that everything was good. It was after this that I started having issues which leads to extra problems in trying to troubleshoot because 3 different things happened within that 24-hour (or less) period: Windows 10 update installing, memory upgrade, download of Crucial scan.

In trying to troubleshoot this issue I have encountered numerous things which looked like maybe they would work (this is where the time lapse makes everything fuzzy and I am trying to resolve this as quickly as possible without having to go through all the previous steps. That being said, all of the usual suspects (turn off airplane mode, update or uninstall/reinstall drivers, remove certain registry keys, etc.) did not work for me. Rolling back updates and restoring the memory back to its original state also did not resolve the issue.

I currently show it being in airplane mode (which I seem to be able to accidentally turn off at times through monkeying around with different things - again, don't know how/why it seems to turn on/off) and everything I see online says to just disable that in Network settings. Problem being, that option is not even there. Under Network & Internet I see the following: Status, Dial-up, VPN, Data Usage, Proxy. The option to turn airplane mode on/off doesn't exist for me in this area.

I also don't show any available networks despite the fact that I clearly have a wireless connection available as I'm using a laptop to connect and write this.  When I go into View Network Properties, I see the following: Ethernet, VMware Network Adapter VMnet1, VMware Network Adapter VMnet8, Wi-Fi, and Local Area Connection* 2. All of these options have a status of "Not Present" and show IPv4/IPv6 connectivity of "Disconnected".

As I mentioned, I have through some fiddling around been able to get the Airplane mode to show as being off (or at least not showing under Network Settings on the bottom tray - as I just checked again now to see that it's not there, however it could very well still be on for all I know - a pox on you, HP, for putting airplane mode on a DESKTOP to begin with! - but anyway, I digress. Also tried to direct connect to Internet by cording in and that didn't do anything either so I'm stumped. Does anyone have any thoughts as to what is going on or how I might be able to resolve the issue? Again, all the searches I've done bring up similar issues, but all of their troubleshooting options did not work for me so I'm guessing my issue is slightly different from theirs in some way. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9
Riddle_Decipher
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
31,166 31,117 2,611 3,966
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@gotissues

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you 🙂 

As I understand it seems as though the Airplane mode isn't turning off and hence you aren't able to connect to the network,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Does the device connect or work on a wired network using the same connection?

Did you attempt updating the drivers for your wireless card?

Here are a few solutions that should help resolve your concern:

Solution 1: Change Network Adapter Properties

1. search for Device Manager in Start Menu or Cortana and open it.

2. Make your way to the Network Adapter section and expand it by double-clicking on it.
3. Figure out your wireless modem from the available list and right click on it to navigate to its Properties.
4. This launches the Properties dialog box of your adapter. Hit on the Power Management tab.  Clear off the option that saysAllow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
5. To apply the changes, press Ok button. This will Fix Airplane mode not turning off issue in Windows 10 and resume its slider to be turned off.

Solution 2: Physical Wireless Switch

1. The prime task for you is to find out whether any physical switch for the wireless is present or not.

2. If you contain the physical switch and if it is toggled Off, you will never be successful to come out of the Airplane Mode. Turn it to On mode.

Solution 3: Disable and Enable Network Connection

1. Go to Setting and click on Network & Internet category.
2. By default, you will be taken to the WiFi segment of settings on the left.  Take your attention to the right pane of WiFisettings and you can witness a linkChange adapter options. Execute a Press (tap) it.
3. A window pops up demonstrating your wireless connections.  Make a Right-click on the wireless connection and go with the Disable option.
4. This procedure disables your wireless connection. Furthermore, right click on the same connection and strike Enable.

You will notice you are able to Fix Airplane Mode Issues in Windows 10. it is active and functioning perfectly without becoming disconnected itself.

Solution 4: Update Driver Software of your Network Adapter

1. Bring the Device Manager window on your screen. (See Solution 1 Method).

2. Look for Network Adapter option and expand it to see its entire list.

3. Right click on your wireless adapter and click Update driver software option.
4. Variant window emerges which asks you to choose the way to update the driver software.  
Click (hit) Search automatically for updated driver software option.
5. An online search will start for the driver to be updated.
6.  You will get a confirmation message which says Windows has successfully updated your driver softwareClose the window.

This fixes “airplane mode not turning off problem” with your Windows 10. I hope it helps.

All the above ways are too easy to perform. Give them a shot one by one and we are sure it will Fix Airplane Mode Issues in Windows

NOTE: If solution 1 doesn't do the trick, try solution 2 and so on,

If I have helped you resolve the issue, 

Feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon 

Followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' 

And Have a great day ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
gotissues
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your response but unfortunately I've gotten no further with this issue. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers and have the latest version  (5/3/17 date) and according to the properties the device is working properly.  In solution #3 below, I don't have those same options any longer. Wi-Fi and Airplane mode are gone and I only see Status, Dial-up, VPN, Data Usage, and Proxy. I did click on the "Change adapter options" link under my default Network status and it shows an empty Network Connections folder.  I don't see that same Power Management option you display in solution #1; however, I have gone into Power Options-Advanced Settings and it is set for Maximum Performance, no power saving for the Wireless Adapter.

In response to your other question, I am also unable to connect to the Internet using a wired connection any longer, either.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Riddle_Decipher
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@gotissues

Thank you for replying with this detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

Please follow the below steps to resolve your concern:

Reset the TCP/IP settings on your PC:
1. Go to your start screen/menu and type CMD.
2. Right-click on the command prompt icon and chose Run as administrator.
3. In the window that opens type "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" without quotes, and press enter.
4. Restart your PC and test.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
gotissues
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the new response but unfortunately that did not work, either. I've also tried resetting winsock, resetting the winsock catalog, removing dne (wasn't there), etc. all to no avail.

0 Kudos
Riddle_Decipher
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@gotissues

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

Don't worry I still have a few more steps,

Let's reset the DNS server manually:

• Control Panel > set icon view > Network and Sharing >
  • Left-Click on your active WiFi connection (in blue next to the word "Connections" >
  • In WiFi Status >> Click on Properties >
  • In WiFi Properties >> Scroll down the middle section and look for "Internet Protocol Version 4" >
  • Left-Click to Highlight the selection > click Properties >
  • Click to select "Use the following IP Address:" >
  • Enter your IP address, subnet mask, and gateway information
  • Click to select "Use the following DNS server addresses"
  • Click OK to save and exit.

Then, work on getting the auto-config service turned on:

1) Start Menu > Control Panel > Administrative Tools for the Classic View (long list of items) or Start Menu > Control Panel > > Performance and Maintenace > Administrative Tools for Category View (colorful, big icons).

2) Double-click Services.

3) In this window, click the Name column header (where is says “Name”) to sort by the service name.

4) Scroll down to find WLAN AutoConfig service. Stop the service first. Then restart it and make sure that it runs automatically.

5) Make sure that dependency services are also stopped and restarted.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
gotissues
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the response. Unfortunately I am unable to access WiFi in Network and Sharing. It no longer exists, having gone missing when I first started to encounter these issues. My adapters appear in Device Manager and show that they're working fine, but WiFi is no longer a selectable option anywhere. I have an empty network connections folder and when I try something like ipconfig /release, I get the following message: "The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation." Any thoughts? Thanks!

0 Kudos
Chimney_83
Retired
Retired
8,121 8,112 487 951
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @gotissues, I am the @Chimney_83. It looks like you were interacting with @Riddle_Decipher, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

Thanks for the reply and trying the suggested steps. 

As the wireless adapter is not listed anymore in device manager, recommend you try a system restore to a date when it was working fine. Click here for assistance. 

If the issue persists, download the wireless adapter driver from this link on a USB and try to install it on your computer. 

Keep me posted. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
gotissues
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the response. My apologies for being unclear earlier - both the Realtek Family Controller and the Wi-Fi adapters appear in Device Manager, which shows them as working without errors. However, both Ethernet and Wi-Fi are missing as selectable network options.

Unfortunately, it's not looking like restore points are an option for me at this point as this issue started on 6/21 and an automatic restore point took on 7/10. I don't know if that just replaced an earlier automatic restore point or if all prior to that date have gone missing for whatever reason. The oldest restore point option I have is from the day the issue started, but was taken later in the evening after these issues had already started by the Windows Modules Installer. I'm trying to restore back to that point, just to see if magically it will show me any earlier restore points starting 6/20 or earlier, but so far that's not been very successful, either as the 1st attempt did not complete successfully, throwing back an unknown error (0x80070091). I'm now running that same restore again while I research that one, just to confirm whether or not I get the same result.

While the adapters all show as working in Device Manager, I ran a WLAN report which came back with "There is no wireless interface on the system." and ipconfig itself returns nothing more than the words "Windows IP Configuration".

Any thoughts? Thanks!

0 Kudos
Riddle_Decipher
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@gotissues

Thank you for replying with this detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

Considering you've been getting the message-"There is no wireless interface on the system",

I recommend you run a hardware test on your wireless adapter: Click here for instruction.

Let me know how that pans out

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask any other queries as  well,

Considering, this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

{If this resolved your concern, Click on "Accept as Solution" & the Purple Thumbs up}.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation