Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 500-227c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm trying to update my wireless networking card for my Pavilion 500-227c desktop so i can get 5g.  The wifi card I have now is a Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 802.11b|g|n.  Is there any hope to upgrading?  I've researched and cannot find an answer or a card I might use.  Thanks for the help in advance.

Petro2

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

Can you take another look at the model number you posted?

I cannot find any info on a  500-227c, PC.

This is the closest model I can find...500-277c

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04074753

The above model has the same wifi card you mentioned.

I need you to open up the PC and determine how many antenna cables are connected to the Atheros wifi card in there.

If there is only one, then you can't do a direct swap, but I have an alternative suggestion for a 'quasi-internal' wifi card upgrade.

If there are two antenna cables connected to the Atheros card, and your PC has an Intel processor and chipset, then you can upgrade to this model...

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0 HP Part # 710661-001

The card is readily available on eBay or Amazon.

Search by the HP part number, not by the model number of the wireless card.

HP Recommended

Paul:  You're right.  The model is 277c not 227c sorry.  I have not opened up the box yet but I'll let you know about the antenna.  Thanks for all your help.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.