cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hochstetlers
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Can I upgrade my wireless card in this PC? If so, which one would be needed?

HP Recommended
HP TouchSmart 320-1030
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

Currently my PC is going through a couple upgrades that were needed since it has aged.  I have upgrade the memory and storage.  However, the download speed is slow in the wireless area.  I would prefer not to direct line the computer and was wondering if this is possible on this computer.  Please help.  Thank you.  I have included the specific model in the subject, but for clarification it is an HP TouchSmart 320-1030.

1 REPLY 1
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
129,383 119,560 19,530 29,861
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

Unless someone with your same model PC has done such an upgrade, I can only speculate...

One thing...I have no idea how to get to where the wifi card is located.

The service manual only gives the procedure to change the hard drive and memory.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03094783

In order to upgrade the wifi card, there has to be two wifi antennas connected to the card in there now.

Some models only have one antenna connected to a single band (2.4 Ghz only) wifi card.

The parts list below only mentions one antenna, not two. 

http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?searchText=QP788AA

Then there is the possibility of a BIOS whitelist which will prevent the PC from booting up if a different wifi card other than the one that came with the PC is installed.

Such a whitelist was definitely present during the time your PC was manufactured on notebook PC's.

And you can't use an Intel wifi card in a PC with AMD hardware.

So...if your PC has two antennas connected to the wifi card in there now, and there is no BIOS whitelist, a good upgrade would be this model wifi card...Works with W7 - W10.

Broadcom BCM4352 802.11ac 2x2 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0 combo

724935-001

Do your search by the HP part number not the model of the wifi card. 

You should be able to find one on Amazon or eBay pretty easy.

Don't want to take a chance on the card not working because of a BIOS restriction, or only having one antenna?

The easiest thing to do would be to purchase an external USB Wireless AC adapter.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation