Level 2
14 8 1 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Can my pc be connected wirelessly?

HP Recommended
Pavillion d4999t
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My pc is currently connected by ethernet cable to the router.  Evry time my computer goes to sleep mode, it turns the router off, then disconnecting my laptop.  Can my pc be connected wirelessly?  If so, what steps do I need to take.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
banhien
Level 19
Level 19
90,547 90,424 11,629 24,921
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Recruiter

Your machine is a CTO machine actually, it may or may not have wireless card. It is more than 9 years old now therefore the quick way to find out is to look at Device Manager, Network adapters to see is there any wireless component.

(a) If yes, you can use wireless,

(b) If no you can install a supported wireless card BUT sorry I can't find it on HP PartStore, please try

https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Networking-Wireless/PCI-Express-Cards

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

0 Kudos
Recruiter
Author
Level 2
14 8 1 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

In Device Manager >Network Adapters I have listed USB Wireless 802.11 b/g Adapter.  Is this the Network adapter I need to go wireless on this computer, or is this just recognizing the modem?.  I do remember when I received my computer, there was included a small desktop USB antena.  I still have it----somewhere.  Is this the wireless part?

This whole question is a result of a migration from Vista to Win7.  Every time my computer goes into sleep mode, it turns off the modem.  It never did that in Vista.  Can I resolve this issue with a change in settings instead?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Recruiter
Author
Level 2
14 8 1 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It turns out, I found my answer.  I contacter the ISP, and they told me that there is no way the router and the pc are sharing power - normally.  I then determined that, since I use a backup unit, it has to have something to do with it.  On my backup unit, there is a Master Control plug and below it are 3 plugs that are "Controlled by Master".  I had the modem plugged into one of those plugs, instead of the surge plugs.  Therefore, every time the pc (master) shut off, the modem would follow suit.

Live and learn

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation