Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Envy computer can see my modem with both ethernet and wifi but there is no internet connection. Other computers, smartphone and tablet work fine with same modem and network. Computer has onboard NIC. I installed a separate NIC card, but no luck.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Problem seems to be solved. It turns out it was a hard disk problem. I switched out the existing drive, installed a spare drive and reinstalled Windows. All seems fine now., inclusing some other anoying but not critical) issues.

What is frustrating is that a did extensive testing of the old drive before swapping, using Seagate Utilities and HP built in utility, and they all reported no problem.  I can only assume that the boot sector on the bad drive is currupt or has malware and the testing failed to find it.

Now the the frustrating jub of reloading all my programs. Fortunatly, I a full set of up to date backups.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

First, go to "Device Management"  and delete both the ethernet and wifi drivers (these are  to be found under network devices).

Reboot and see what happens.

Have you checked your network and adapter settings in Windows?

HP Recommended

This might be useful too.

I suppose you have tried to switch off your modem and wait at least 1 minute before power on ?

HP Recommended

Tried everything. Even installed a lan car, but same result. Could it be maware in OS, since only one computer is having problem.

HP Recommended

A few other things you may (not) have tried or checked:

- Open a CMD promt and type:  ipconfig /flushdns (+ enter)

- Check if network settings are set to automatically obtain IP address and DNS provided by your ISP (Internet service provider) 

Start button > Type Network Reset , reboot en reconnect.

HP Recommended

Found 2 other possible solutions:

Try this to "Reset your TCP/IP"...

1. Press the "Windows" key and in the search box type "CMD" (without the " marks) and hit enter.

2. When you see "CMD" or "Command Prompt" in the results list right-click on it and choose "Run as Administrator". 

3. When the new window loads, first type in... "netsh winsock reset" (without the " marks) and then hit enter.

4. You should get a message saying you need to restart the computer. Ignore this message for the moment.

5. Now type "netsh int ip reset" (without the " marks) and then hit enter.

6. Once that is done, close this window and reboot your computer.

You can also try the following, if the above doesn't work and after the computer restarts...

A. Press the "Windows" key and in the search box type "CMD" (without the " marks) and hit enter.

B. When you see "CMD" or "Command Prompt" in the results list right-click on it and choose "Run as Administrator".

C. When the new window loads, type "ipconfig /release" (without the " marks) and hit Enter.

D. Then type "ipconfig /renew" (without the " marks) and hit Enter.

E. Once that is done, close this window and reboot your computer.

HP Recommended

Problem seems to be solved. It turns out it was a hard disk problem. I switched out the existing drive, installed a spare drive and reinstalled Windows. All seems fine now., inclusing some other anoying but not critical) issues.

What is frustrating is that a did extensive testing of the old drive before swapping, using Seagate Utilities and HP built in utility, and they all reported no problem.  I can only assume that the boot sector on the bad drive is currupt or has malware and the testing failed to find it.

Now the the frustrating jub of reloading all my programs. Fortunatly, I a full set of up to date backups.

HP Recommended

It does indeed sound like a virus or rootkit that prevents connection to the internet  by enabling a proxy server.

Sometimes running "sfc/scannow" from cmd helps, but I guess you have tried that as well.

Good to learn that you have managed to fix this annoying issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.