Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy TS 15 (C8P47AV)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have only used my HP Envy TS 15 (C8P47AV) wirelessly and recently got a hardwired connection using CAT7 to my desk on the 2nd floor. I can't seem to go above 100mbps and it is extremely frustrating! I have read tons of things on the web and can't find anything that helps!!!! My WiFi gets a faster speedtest than the hardwired Ethernet. I did see it change once! That is when I switched the cable that I have my router on and noticed it went to 300mbps and things were flying. However unplugging and plugging into that port it disppeared. It's almost like the old negotiation was hanging around. Anyway to tweak this to force it to work? I tried forced gigabit, you name it, none of the setting changes fixed it! I even tried plugging directly into the router port and that did not do it. I have other devices that are running fine with this same CAT7. Am I SOL with this version of laptop from HP????

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I found the problem! After reading every single forum thread I could find on Google. Someone suggested to see if there was a bent pin in the connector and sure enough the middle one was bent! I am not sure how that happened as I have only used wifi. It was a little tricky but I bent it back powered up and I was good to go! Chalk this one up as not a cable or driver issue!!!!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

It is a CTO machine therfore I can't find its full specs to see what is the network card but please try to re-install its driver:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=ob_126558_1

Can you see what is it ? Should be under Device Manager, Network adapters.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

The network card is an 8168 RealTek GBE controller. I have installed this driver before and tried and it and did not work. I tried it again deleting the current install and reinstalled and rebooted and had the same problem!!!! I have also tried other methods like taking out the battery and forcing the speed....

HP Recommended

I found the problem! After reading every single forum thread I could find on Google. Someone suggested to see if there was a bent pin in the connector and sure enough the middle one was bent! I am not sure how that happened as I have only used wifi. It was a little tricky but I bent it back powered up and I was good to go! Chalk this one up as not a cable or driver issue!!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.