Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Slimline HP S5 1240d
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Can I know a compatible pcie wireless card for windows 10 and HP slimline desktop series 1240d? Or any one who has experimented.

The existing raillink rt5390 ends giving critical failures when forced installed driver, ending up reinstalling windows again.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I bought one Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi. This without any HP part info available, as the card came under 22 Singapore dollars and I thought I can experiment. The part came from China, though I was wary of its genuineness and the compatibility issues if any with 1240d..... But, "It worked" and the device was identified by Windows10 automatically, without any updates.

5GHz  works well where I can achieve160 Mbps on the local broadband in Singapore and on 2.4Ghz is around 55 Mbps.

Bluetooth I still haven't found it out on the card, and probably needs to cover some pins to make it work, which I presume is based on some videos shown on youtube or some windows updates can fix it.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

How many antenna wires are attached to the Ralink card in there now?

If there are two wires, you should be able to upgrade to this wifi card.

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0    HP Part # 710661-001

You should be able to find the card on eBay.  Search by the HP part number, not the model of the wifi card,

710661-001 | eBay

If there is only one antenna wire, you can still use the above card but the Bluetooth may not work because of the missing second antenna wire.

HP Recommended

There is only single antenna wire factory installed.

Should the suggested wifi card work still?

HP Recommended

It should work but not as good as if there were two antenna wires connected to it.

There aren't any dual band HMC form factor wifi cards that work 100% right with only one antenna wire.

The Bluetooth may not work at all.

I think you would be better off either using a dual band wifi adapter, or installing a PCIe x 1 dual band wifi adapter that comes with external antennas in one of the free PCIe x1 slots.

HP Recommended

I was thinking...another option if you are willing to stick with a single band card like you have now, would be to use this card which was designed to work with only one antenna wire...

Realtek RTL8723BE 802.11bgn 1×1 + BT 4 LE Combo Adapter  HP part # 753077-001.

You can find plenty of these on eBay too.  If you look at the pictures, there is only one antenna terminal to connect the antenna to.

753077-001 | eBay

I do not know of any issues with this card and W10.

Before installing any wifi card you decide on go to the device manager, right click on the Ralink wifi card and select Uninstall.

Also check the uninstall driver box.

Shut down, unplug the PC and replace the wifi card.

W10 should automatically install the driver for the card, but here are the links to wifi and bluetooth drivers that should work if they are newer than what W10 installed.

This package contains the driver installation package for the Realtek RTL8723BE/RTL8188EE wireless LAN Controller in the supported models running a supported operating system.

Wifi:   2023.66.1104.201

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp82501-83000/sp82801.exe

BT:  1.0.0.1021 

This package contains the driver installation package for the Realtek Bluetooth in the supported models running a supported operating system.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp98001-98500/sp98266.exe

HP Recommended

I bought one Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi. This without any HP part info available, as the card came under 22 Singapore dollars and I thought I can experiment. The part came from China, though I was wary of its genuineness and the compatibility issues if any with 1240d..... But, "It worked" and the device was identified by Windows10 automatically, without any updates.

5GHz  works well where I can achieve160 Mbps on the local broadband in Singapore and on 2.4Ghz is around 55 Mbps.

Bluetooth I still haven't found it out on the card, and probably needs to cover some pins to make it work, which I presume is based on some videos shown on youtube or some windows updates can fix it.

HP Recommended

By the way, it was shipped with 2 external antennas. I used the original factory-delivered antenna for one of the pins on the PCIe card and the second pin connected to the external one.

HP Recommended

I believe that if you mask PIN 51 the bluetooth will work.

Paul_Tikkanen_0-1615555464730.jpeg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.