Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY h8-1413c Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

when on internet, internet just quits working and I get message "DNS server unavailable (308), The DNS server is not responding." When I run Windows network diagnostics I get message "Your computer is trying to use a DNS server that is incorrect or doesn't exist."

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@eight1 -- try this:

1. hold-down the "Windows" key (bottom left of your keyboard)
  2. while holding it down, tap once on the "r" key
  3. release both keys
  4. into the small window that has opened, type: CMD   
  5. press the ENTER key
  6. into the new window, type: IPCONFIG    /ALL  
  7. press the ENTER key.

You should get output including:

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

What do you see? 

A "quit working" implies that your computer was connected to your cable-modem (or equivalent modem) and your cable-modem was connected to your ISP's network, and thus to the Internet, but something along that "path" is not currently connected.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response. I'm not very computer savvy but tried your suggestion. I think this is what you're referring to.

Under Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Link-local IPv6 Address........:fe80::d1c5:26c9:7fa2:eb42%43<Preferred>

IPv4 Address..........................:192.168.0.10 <Preferred>

That's what was showing when I followed your instructions. When I went to send you my reply, the connection was lost again. So I followed your instructions again and then all the Media state showed Media disconnected. After leaving the computer for a couple hours, it must have reset and the internet connection is back working. It's very frustrating. Right at the top under Windows IP Configuration, Primary Dns Suffix is blank.

HP Recommended

@eight1 -- Right at the top under Windows IP Configuration, Primary Dns Suffix is blank.

That is quite normal. 

If there was a non-blank value, then that suffix will be added to the end of any "name" that you enter.

For example, if the suffix was ".gov", and you entered the name "whitehouse", then the DNS-server would try to find an IP-address for "whitehouse.gov".

... All the Media state showed Media disconnected. After leaving the computer for a couple hours, it must have reset and the internet connection is back working. It's very frustrating. 

That could be an "overheating" problem, either in your computer's network adapter, or in your cable-modem, that causes an "intermittent" failure.  Perhaps, get your Internet Service Provider to replace the cable-modem, under the assumption that it is failing.  They will replace it, if they want to keep you as a monthly-paying customer.

HP Recommended

An overheating problem does make sense so I opened up my computer and cleaned inside best I could. It was very dusty/dirty in there. After cleaning, reassembled and turned computer on again. The problem still persists. I know it's not my cable-modem as it was replaced recently and my wifes computer which is in the far end of the house, in a separate room from the cable-modem, and she has no issues with her internet connection. Where as my computer is about 15 feet away from the cable-modem with no obstructions in the way.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.