Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Deskjet 3630
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi Community,

We have a Deskjet 3630 printer. We all have been printing to the printer since we bought it just over a year ago.

We have three laptops all running windows. OS is 7, 8 and 10.

Our ISP router died last week and we havebeen sent a new one. All devices were able to be added tothe router no problem, hence my communication here.

The printer is refusing to co-operate.

I have run HP Print and scan doctor. I have run the install the printer from the DVD. I have tried to communicate viathe USB and wireless. USB connection does not work.

Thge info page printed from the Printer tells me it's address is: URL: http://192.168.223.1

I know that this is an incorrect ip address as the 223 is not our network address, in fact it never has been either the new router or any other router we have had.

How do I change the printers ip address??

I have tried all the tips on the help pages like hold the cancel and broadcast button down for three seconds, but that does nothing at all.

Any help gratefully recieved.

Kind regards

Jeff

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hey there! @POMPEYFAN, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums!

I understand after replacing the router you have issues connecting your printer back to the network.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

Is your printer and the PC and connected to the same home network?

Are you able to print from other devices on the same network?

As you mentioned you are unable to print using a USB connection. It looks like a driver issue not the connection or IP address issue.

Restart the computer, router and printer together and try connecting it again.

Please try few steps recommended below.

Try the steps recommended below and assign a manual IP to your printer.

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). If you do not know the range, change the last set of numbers (those after the last '.') to 250
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different if so, use that)
- Enter your router's IP (on the Network Config Page) for the gateway.
- Enter 8.8.8.8 for the first DNS and 8.8.4.4 for the second DNS. This is Google DNS. You can choose another external DNS if you wish.
- Click 'Apply'.

Connect the printer with WPS

Use WPS to connect the printer to your wireless network.

1. Turn on the printer.

2. Locate the WPS button on your router, but do not press it yet.

If your router does not support WPS, skip to the next step to connect the printer with the HP Smart app.

3. If the printer is in sleep mode, press the Cancel button on the control panel.

The printer enters a ready state.

4. On the printer control panel, press and hold the Wireless button  for at least 3 seconds or until the wireless light starts to flash.

5. On the router, press and hold the WPS button for 3 to 5 seconds or until it shows that the WPS connection process has started.

NOTE:

The printer stops searching for a WPS connection two minutes after the wireless button is pressed. If you were unable to press the WPS button within that timeframe, attempt these steps again.

Once the printer connects to the wireless network, the blue Wireless light on the control panel turns on solid.

Refer this article to further troubleshoot connection issues. Click Here

If the issue still persists uninstall the printer software from the root level on your PC and install the full feature printer software.

In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.

Select your HP printer.

Select Uninstall.

In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.

In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”

Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.

Type printui.exe /s and click OK.

Click on Drivers tab.

Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click remove at the bottom.

Select OK.

Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.

Close Devices and Printers.

Update the full feature printer software using this link. Click Here

Let me know if this helps!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Mr. Robot,

Thanks for your post.

Just let me re-iterate. This is my daughters Printer. She bought it and is using it for her university studies. As it was connected wirelessly we also were able to print to it. We have never printed to it with a USB connection.

Up until we had to swap the router all was well. All devices that were connected to the new router have re-connected and are working fine.

All except the printer.

in answers to your questions:

Did you make any changes to your printer? - NO

Is your printer and the PC and connected to the same home network? - YES

Are you able to print from other devices on the same network? - NO

As you mentioned you are unable to print using a USB connection. It looks like a driver issue not the connection or IP address issue.  - Answer:

I have downloaded the drivers as you suggested.

I deleted the any old drivers from my machine. Re intalled the new drivers from the downloaded .exe that you directed me to.

I have a message to say my printer installed correctly: (More on that later)

So I connected a USB and try to print. USB cable is good as its the other three I tried.

hp message4.JPG

So I can't print as you can see the message above.

MORE:

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address. - The IP address is http://0.0.0.0
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.

Obviously that will not work. This is the problem I am having; the printer does not have an IP address. It has a MAC address though.

next:

Connect the printer with WPS: Tried that. Does not work.

So just to re-iterate:

I installed the driver, half way through I had this message:

hp message2.JPG

So the printer cannot connect to the router.

How do I get into the printer to manually set the ip address?

How can I reset the printer to a default condition?

The printer is 14 months old.

Kind regards

Jeff

I am an Electronics Design Engineer.

HP Recommended

@POMPEYFAN,

It looks like you were interacting with @A4Apollo, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 
I'm the Jeet_Singh & I'm at your service. 

As I see that you are having issues while connecting your printer to the new router. The printer needs to be connected to the new router. Don't worry we'll work together to help you find a solution.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you checked the router network settings as this printer support only 2.4GHz. If your router support 5GHz then you would need to change it to 2.4GHz and try.

Have you tried to change the frequency on the printer - either 1, 6, 11 or vice-versa

Have you tried to install a full feature software for the printer?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

Perform a Hard reset on the printer and make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Next thing, I would suggest here is to restore the printer to the network defaults: 

Next thing, I would suggest you install the printer using the USB cable and then convert the USB connected printer to Wireless to get it connected to the network. Here are the steps:

For Windows 7 (64-bit): Click on this link to download and install the full feature software for the printer.

1. In the connectivity tab, select "USB"
  2. Connect the USB cable and finish the printer installation.

If you want to change from a USB to wireless network connection, use the Printer Setup & Software utility that installed with your printer software:

1. Search for the printer name, and then click the name of your printer.

The printer software opens.

2. Click Tools, and then click Device Setup & Software.

3. Select the option which says "Convert a USB printer to Wireless"

4. Follow the onscreen instructions and complete the installation.

For more details, please go through these links here: 

HP DeskJet 3630, 4729 Printers - Wireless Printer Setup (Windows)

HP Printers - Wireless Troubleshooting

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Jeet Singh,

(my answers in BOLD)

You asked:

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you checked the router network settings as this printer support only 2.4GHz. If your router support 5GHz then you would need to change it to 2.4GHz and try. Both frequencies are enabled on the router

Have you tried to change the frequency on the printer - either 1, 6, 11 or vice-versa How do I do that if I can't access the printer?

Have you tried to install a full feature software for the printer? Yes. Of course. I have uninstalled any drivers and installed the new ones like Mr Robot suggested and used the link he provided. I'm sure you read that already?

I would suggest here is to restore the printer to the network defaults:  Already done that, hence the ip address of 0.0.0.0

If you want to change from a USB to wireless network connection, use the Printer Setup & Software utility that installed with your printer software:

1. Search for the printer name, and then click the name of your printer.

The printer software opens.

2. Click Tools, and then click Device Setup & Software.

3. Select the option which says "Convert a USB printer to Wireless"

4. Follow the onscreen instructions and complete the installation.

For more details, please go through these links here: 

HP DeskJet 3630, 4729 Printers - Wireless Printer Setup (Windows)

HP Printers - Wireless Troubleshooting

Done all that and posted the screenshots of the results on the previous post.

Kind regards

Jeff

HP Recommended

@POMPEYFAN,

Thank you for replying,

As I understand you have exhausted all possible troubleshooting steps and nothing has helped to resolve this issue.

In this scenario, check this: I'm sending out a Private message with the information you need to get this sorted,

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile 

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it 

Keep me posted,

that said, If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Jeet,

This is not helpful as I was disappointed to find thatI have to pay for this. The cost is half that of a new printer from Canon.

Our printer is 14 months old. This almost smacks of you deliberately blocking it's access to the internet so I end up paying for support. Why would my printer suddenly not connect?

Your thoughts on this gratefully recieved.

Kind regards

Jeff

HP Recommended

Hi Jeet, Hi Mr.Robot.

Heres something that after two weeks of messing around, countless hours at home, and on the internet with you and my ISP, I have finally found out what the problem is.

You should be aware of this, should some other poor sould be in the same situation as me.

My ISP, - Lets name and shame them - TALK TALK in the UK, have just informed me that their router DOES NOT SUPPORT PRINTERS!

So it was not you. I am sorry I came across frustrated but that's exactly what was happening, pure and utter frustration that could have been avoided the first time I phoned Talk Talk up. I did think something did not add up when connected to their router the IP address was 0.0.0.0. I finally tried an old router and all is fine, printer connected, proper IP address,all other devices connected.

So, thanks for your help, we are all set to change ISP to someone whose router does support printers!

Kind regards

Jeff

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.