Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP TouchSmart 520
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My mother has an HP TouchSmart 520. The other night, her cable went out, and her desktop lost all wireless connection. When we have the computer run diagnostics, it keeps telling us to plug in an ethernet cable. It doesn't show any wireless networks. The computer has always connected to the internet via WiFi, and we have never needed an ethernet cable. 

Do I need to reinstall wireless drivers? Not completely literate in computers, so details will help.

Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Before you get too involved in this, is the wireless at your mother's house working?   I would start with that.  It could be the wireless router got damaged when the cable went out.

BTW: just because the cable TV is working does not mean the internet came back.

Was there a storm thar caused the cable to go out or some other reason?

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Hi

To supplement            in his assertion.

If you use the WinKey +  R  and then type     cmd.exe pause          

you get a screen open.

The easiest test is to type 

ping 127.0.0.1

C:\>ping 127.0.0.1
Pinging 127.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms 

the underlined bit is key

I know I do not have Ethernet connected, so the response HAS to be from my WiFi.

Please post yours.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. No, there was no storm. And I believe the router is working, as I can connect to the wireless network on my iphone. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. I will try this (or have my mother try it) later tonight or tomorrow.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.