Connie_T
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Desktop wifi disconnecting frequently

HP Recommended
Pavilion 500-267c Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Cox Cable installed a new modem/router several months ago and for a while it was working fine, but due to a slow down in internet speed and a weak extender to another part of the house, they came back to install another modem (a second one in a different part of the house) so that all devices could stream better. They did NOT change the modem/router that is connected to this desktop, BUT the following things are happening now.

1. The computer is not recognizing the faster wifi connection that is available. It sees only the slightly slower connection. That is fine, the speed it good enough for my purposes on this computer, BUT...

2. It is disconnecting frequently now - and prior to their last visit, it never disconnected from the router. I am about 6 feet from the router.

5 REPLIES 5
old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
24,637 24,289 2,835 10,374
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Connie_T, welcome to the forum.

@Connie_Twrote:

Cox Cable installed a new modem/router several months ago and for a while it was working fine, but due to a slow down in internet speed and a weak extender to another part of the house, they came back to install another modem (a second one in a different part of the house) so that all devices could stream better. They did NOT change the modem/router that is connected to this desktop, BUT the following things are happening now.

1. The computer is not recognizing the faster wifi connection that is available. It sees only the slightly slower connection. That is fine, the speed it good enough for my purposes on this computer, BUT...  Here is the Product Specifications page for the computer.  If you look at the section titled "Networking" you will see that your wireless card is only 2.4 GHz.  If you want to achieve the faster speed you will need a dual band AC wireless card (2.4, 5GHz).

2. It is disconnecting frequently now - and prior to their last visit, it never disconnected from the router. I am about 6 feet from the router.  You should update the driver for the wireless card to see if that helps.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!

Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
0 Kudos
Connie_T
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I figured that must be what was going on not seeing the other network. Thanks.

As far as the driver. I just downloaded and installed the update. It connected very quickly, but until I step away from the computer for a while, I won't see if it disconnects while idle. I'll let you know!

0 Kudos
old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @Connie_T!  I will be interested in hearing the outcome.

0 Kudos
Connie_T
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Nope, that didn't help. The wifi was disconnected when I got in to check my messages this morning. Is there some sort of setting on the HP for timing out? If left alone for more than X hours, then disconnect?

0 Kudos
old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Wifi problems are some of the most difficult to diagnose from afar.  The only settings for the wifi would be in the router.  I suggest updating the Firmware for the router if there is an update available.  Also, you should run the Windows Troubleshooter for wifi problems.  Sometimes it will fix the problem.  I have used it many times.

Here is a guide to help you trobleshoot it manually.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation