Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
23-g017c All-in-One
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I just had a quick question.  I am looking to upgrade this AIO's Atheros AR9485 (72.2Mbps) wifi adapter.  I have been made aware that a lot of HP computers have a wifi whitelist in the BIOS which limits what you can upgrade to you.  Does anyone have any information regarding a whitelist with this AIO?  If there is a whitelist, how can I find out what pci-e mini half cards I am restricted to?

Thank you for any help

Edit: sorry, the correct model is 23-g017c

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

That model shouldn't have a BIOS whitelist, since HP did away with the whitelists for most notebook and desktop PCs in 2013.

Since HP does not release that information, no one can 100% confirm that your PC does not have a BIOS whitelist.

Also, there are a couple of things you should be aware of.

1.  You can't upgrade to a dual band HMC card unless there are two antenna cables connected to the Atheros wifi card in there now.

2.  Since your PC has an AMD processor and chipset, it is unlikely an Intel wifi card will work.

The parts list for your model seems to indicate that there are two antenna cables, as it references an 'Antenna - (2x2/Cmbo), L225mm, R475mm, Amber' configuration.  I'm assuming L=Left antenna has a length of 225mm and R=Right antenna has a length of 475mm

http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?searchText=F3D39AA

So...here are two wifi cards that should work for you if your PC does not have a BIOS whitelist...

Wireless AC:

Broadcom BCM4352 802.11ac 2x2 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0 combo    HP Part # 724935-001

Dual band wireless N:

Broadcom BCM943228HMB 802.11abgn 2×2 Wi-Fi Adapter, Broadcom Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter 
HP part # 730668-001

Either card should be readily available on Amazon or eBay.

Search by the HP part number, not the model of the wifi adapter.

There is no procedure in the service guide to replace the wifi card, but at least it should help you open up the PC and get to where the card is located.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04716083

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Sorry, the correct model is 23-g017c.

HP Recommended

Hi:

That model shouldn't have a BIOS whitelist, since HP did away with the whitelists for most notebook and desktop PCs in 2013.

Since HP does not release that information, no one can 100% confirm that your PC does not have a BIOS whitelist.

Also, there are a couple of things you should be aware of.

1.  You can't upgrade to a dual band HMC card unless there are two antenna cables connected to the Atheros wifi card in there now.

2.  Since your PC has an AMD processor and chipset, it is unlikely an Intel wifi card will work.

The parts list for your model seems to indicate that there are two antenna cables, as it references an 'Antenna - (2x2/Cmbo), L225mm, R475mm, Amber' configuration.  I'm assuming L=Left antenna has a length of 225mm and R=Right antenna has a length of 475mm

http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?searchText=F3D39AA

So...here are two wifi cards that should work for you if your PC does not have a BIOS whitelist...

Wireless AC:

Broadcom BCM4352 802.11ac 2x2 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0 combo    HP Part # 724935-001

Dual band wireless N:

Broadcom BCM943228HMB 802.11abgn 2×2 Wi-Fi Adapter, Broadcom Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter 
HP part # 730668-001

Either card should be readily available on Amazon or eBay.

Search by the HP part number, not the model of the wifi adapter.

There is no procedure in the service guide to replace the wifi card, but at least it should help you open up the PC and get to where the card is located.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04716083

HP Recommended

Thank you for your help.  I just wanted to say that I purchased and installed the item you recommended (Broadcom BCM4352 802.11ac 2x2 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0 combo HP Part # 724935-001).  It works perfectly.

Thanks again. I hope this might help someone else too.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Thanks for confirming that the Broadcom AC wifi card worked.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.