Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tsheltonx
Level 1
7 4 0 2
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Envy All in One 4520 can not be detected after resetting Windows 10. Have tried everything.

HP Recommended
Envy 4520
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I was having some crashes with windows 10 so I selected the "reset" where it resets without you having to reformat. No matter what I do, the installation will not finalize. I have done all of the following :

1. Installed basic drivers

2. Used the full webpack ( it keeps saying I need new software then downloading the same software over and over again ).

3. Used the advanced troubleshooter program, I went thru every page of it and tried every option.

4. Repeated all of the above at least twice after uninstalling the device.

I have great wireless. When the software is trying to install by wireless,  it immediately sees the printer and has its IP address. I select the printer and press next.....and it says it can't install it. USB cord gives the same result. It can not detect the printer. If I go to my devices tab it says the printer is installed and working but that the "driver is unavailable" even though the driver shows as working in its properties tab.

The first time I used this printer it auto installed and worked fine. It seems like there is a hidden file on my PC somewhere that I have to eliminate and can't find the more and more I read.

PLEASE HELP

HP Error 1.jpg

HP Error 1.jpg

7 REPLIES 7
Jeet_singh
Retired
Retired
21,068 21,032 1,398 2,343
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @tsheltonx,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I came across your post and wanted to assist you. I understand you are having issues with you HP Printer after upgrading to Windows 10. Don't worry we'll work together to find a solution for you.

Superb description, brilliant troubleshooting and terrific observations made before posting. Kudos to you for that. 

Let's try a clean install and try. Follow the steps below:

· First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.

· Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Envy printer entries and uninstall them.

· Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.

· Restart your computer.

· Click the bottom-left Start button on desktop, type device manager in the search box and tap Device Manager on the menu.

· Once in device manager, click on the view tab in the top & choose “Show hidden devices”.

· Then from the device manager list, check the entries under “Printer” – If there are any entries, please right click and choose “uninstall” – In the confirm device un-install pop-up, make sure you select the box which says “Delete the driver software for this device".

· Also, check the entries under "printer queue" and "imaging devices" and repeat the same exercise. Delete any printer entry or any entry which says, “Unknown device”.

· Once done, close device-manger. Then press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" and press enter.

· Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.

· Again, go to run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

· Once done you can try cleaning out your temporary files and cached files. You can try using automated applications like some cleaner software's that you can download from the internet.

· Now restart your computer again.

· Open the Run window again, type “services.msc” and press ok to get services window.

· Scroll down to “Remote Procedure Call (RPC)” – right-click and go to properties. Make sure the service is started and startup type is “Automatic”.

· Now scroll up and go to “Function Discovery Provider Host” – right-click and select properties – Change the startup type to “manual” and start the service.

· Repeat the same exercise on “Function Discovery Resource Publication” as well.

· Click on  http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/COL61220/mp-147799-1/EN4520_Full_WebPack_1122.exe and install the software.

· Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

If you are still facing the issues to remove the driver, then try using a 3rd party software removal applications like "Revo uninstaller" or "Wise" to completely remove the programs.

For more assistance, please follow the steps suggested in the support document for - HP Printers - 'Unsuccessful Network Installation' Error (Windows)

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world

Available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
tsheltonx
Author
Level 1
7 4 0 2
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply

I am stuck on this step:

"· Once done, close device-manger. Then press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" and press enter."

The 2 in the photo are "in use" I can not remove them. I got stuck here following a different post last week. There were 2 more then that I was able to remove. Printer is not connected via USB and wireless is off.

HP Error 3.jpg

0 Kudos
Jeet_singh
Retired
Retired
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Appreciate your efforts!

Try the steps below to clean up the printer files from the registry and give the registry permissions:

Let’s first take a backup of the registry to avoid any unwanted damage or to revert back to its original settings. Follow the steps blow to create a registry backup and to delete the printer entries.

• First, uninstall the printer drivers completely by going to – control panel – all programs.
  • Once the drivers are completely uninstalled, restart your computer.
  • Press “Windows logo key” + “R” to get the run pop-up window. Type “regedit” and press ok.
  • To back up the entire registry, click Computer. Click “File”, and then click “Export”. Type a name for the backup file and save the backup copy to the location of your choice.
  • Now, to delete the printer drivers, expand the “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE” – “SYSTEM” – “CurrentControlSet” – Scroll down to “Print”.
  • Expand “Environments” – “Windows x64” – “Drivers” – Right-click on any HP Officejet and delete the same. Also, expand “Print processors” under Windows x64 and delete all folders except “winprint”.
  • Minimize “Environments” and expand “Monitors” – Delete all the folders which start with “HP” (Only keep Local port, Microsoft shared.., Standard TCP/IP, USB monitor and WSD port)
  • Minimize “Monitors” and expand “Printers” – Delete all the folders which say “HP Officejet..”
  • Check the fig below for reference.

Registry printer driver.JPG

Now, provide ENUM permissions in the registry. Here are the steps:

• To give the ENUM permissions, go to registry, expand the “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE” – “SYSTEM” – “CurrentControlSet”.
  • Right-click on “ENUM” and select “Permissions”. Now click on “Add”.
  • In the “Enter the object names to select” field type “ADMINISTRATOR” and press ok.
  • Administrator will be added on the “Group or username filed”. Now click “Advanced”. You will get the “Advanced Security Settings for Enum” window. Select the “Permissions” tab.
  • Select the Administrator field – Edit – And select the box next to “Full control”. Press ok. Repeat the exercise for all the type except for “Everyone”.
  • Now select the “Auditing” tab select “Add”. Again add “Administrator” field. Edit and give full permissions.
  • Apply the settings, and exit out of registry.
  • Click on  http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/COL61220/mp-147799-1/EN4520_Full_WebPack_1122.exe and install the software.
  • Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

Let me know how that goes!

Good luck 

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
tsheltonx
Author
Level 1
7 4 0 2
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I did everything. Same thing happens. The installer immediately detects and sees the IP for the printer then 5 minutes later says it's failed to install the software over the network. USB same thing. Can't detect printer.

0 Kudos
Jeet_singh
Retired
Retired
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @tsheltonx,

As I understand you have tried to follow the steps suggested and still having the issue, I would personally suggest you contact our HP phone support so that they can remotely take control of your PC and help you check the settings. 

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help!

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts,

mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

tsheltonx
Author
Level 1
7 4 0 2
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks. Someone named Anmol Gupta took access and fixed it, it took him about 20 minutes. He was very good.

0 Kudos
Jeet_singh
Retired
Retired
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @tsheltonx,

Thank you for the update,
I appreciate your time and efforts, 

I'm glad to hear you found the solution you were looking for.
Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution.

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.
I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉 

To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.
And mark my post as Accepted Solution to help others find a similar solution as you have.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation