Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP DeskJet 3755
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Long story short, I mainly use the scanner of this device for work purposes and within the last few weeks I have been getting an error message saying something to the effect of, "Scanner currently in use, please wait for the previous task to complete and try again." There is no previous task, obviously.

Everything I've read on help forums says to unplug both ends of the power cord, reboot printer, etc etc. This has worked for the past few weeks, but lately this has not done the job. I downloaded and used the HP Print and Scan Doctor as well & all it could tell me was that there was an error with my scanner and to unplug, reboot, etc., which hasn't worked. 

I ran a diagnostic test on my device. When I clicked on "Scanner Services" I get a message saying, "If the quality of the scanner is unnacceptable, insert a plain sheet of paper and click 'this' button." I insert paper and click said button, only to receive a message that reads, "Paper is missing, please insert paper blah blah et cetera and so forth." This leads me to believe that there is some mechanical issue at play beyond what unplugging and replugging will fix. Am I right in that assumption? I've literally had this printer for about 4 months, it shouldn't be out of service like this already. 

So yes, that wasn't actually a short version of a long story, but could anyone offer any assistance? 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@sarahisntgold

Welcome to HP Support Forums. 🙂

I understand that you have an HP DeskJet 3755 All-in-One Printer and the scanner has stopped to work. You receive an error message stating that the "Scanner is currently in use." You have disconnected the power source from the printer and have restarted the printer. Running the HP Print and Scan Doctor was of not much help. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

To provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• Is the printer connected via USB or a wireless network?
  • Is the printer able to make a copy?

Before we come to a final conclusion, let us perform a few steps to check if the issue is with the scanning hardware or the scanning drivers. I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Disconnect the power cable from the printer while the printer is still ON.
  • Disconnect any other cables if connected the printer.
  • Press and hold the printer’s power button for 15 seconds.
  • The printer should be directly connected to the wall outlet and not to a surge protector. Reconnect the power cable to print and the printer should power ON by itself. If the printer doesn’t power ON then please manually power it ON.

Please try to make a copy and check if the printer successfully makes a copy or not. A successful copy indicates that the scanning hardware is fine. In such a case you may install and use the HP Scan and Capture application and try to scan using this app. This app is downloadable through the Windows Store.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to let me know how it goes. Good luck! 🙂

HP Recommended

Thank you for replying! To answer your questions, my printer is connected wirelessly to my laptop. I tried the USB port at a point, and I had the same result. When I insert paper to be copied, it latches onto the paper but when I press one of the copy buttons all the lights begin to flash. I have to unplug the printer for them to stop, otherwise they keep flashing. When I first saw the reply (weeks ago) I tried to make a copy, it worked, and my printer worked flawlessly for a few weeks. Now it won't even make a copy. It's a very tempermental printer. 

HP Recommended

@sarahisntgold

Thanks for the reply.

• Open the scanner lid, don’t place anything on the scanner glass and initiate scan.
  • Check if the scanner light is lit up and moving across the scanner glass.

Meanwhile:

• Since you said all lights are flashing, Follow the below steps to fix the issue.
  • Clear all paper from the input tray.
  • Clear jammed paper from the output tray.
  • Make sure the carriage can move freely.
  • Make sure the ink cartridges are correctly installed.
  • Plug the printer directly into a wall outlet.
  • Reset the printer.

Click here and refer the document for further troubleshooting steps.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.