Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion HP500-a60
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Hi:

I'm fairly new to Ethernet cards. Do these cards limit themselves to speed? ie 50 Mbps, 100Mbps, 200Mbps...or is it one universal card for whatever speed you order thru your isp? Kindly help if you can in conjunction with subject product. Many Thanks.

Norman

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

chaltun

Yes, the cards ARE limited regarding the upper limit of the transport speed they will support.

Typical ranges are 100Mbit and 1000Mbit.

This is shown on the box, as the older enternet cards are typically labeled 10/100, and the newer ones Gigabit Internet.

However, to really get 1Gb ethernet through your ISP, you need to have an optical fibre connection -- and these are only available in limited areas.

Also, 1Gb enternet is typically very expensive, often amounting to several hundred dollars a month.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

chaltun

Yes, the cards ARE limited regarding the upper limit of the transport speed they will support.

Typical ranges are 100Mbit and 1000Mbit.

This is shown on the box, as the older enternet cards are typically labeled 10/100, and the newer ones Gigabit Internet.

However, to really get 1Gb ethernet through your ISP, you need to have an optical fibre connection -- and these are only available in limited areas.

Also, 1Gb enternet is typically very expensive, often amounting to several hundred dollars a month.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I recently upgraded to 1 GIG internet speed through CenturyLink Fiber Optic  service, new to my community.

However, my HP Pavilion 550-035Z CTO will only run, at the maximum, at 354 and 56 mips.  Century link installer thinks I need to upgrade my H/P Ethernet card, but I can't get any answersfrom them (on-line).  Can anyone advise me if 1) I need to replace my current Ethernet card?, and 2) what H/p or other company part number/name for an upgraded Ethernet card is necessary?  Thank you very much in advance for your help.  Can't get anyone to respond to any emails sent to H/P.  Not sure they want to sell any upgraded cards for their computers.  Don't know how to get an answer from them. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.