Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 550-015A DNX DT Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have connected an ethernet cable from my Netgear, D6300, wireless router to my newly purchased HP 550-015A DNX DT Desktop computer and I cannot get the connection to work with access to the internet.

When I view the status of the network and its connections I find that the Ethernet connection is an ""unidentified public network"" and that there is ""No network access"".

If I do the same connection from the Netgear router to my OLD  HP Pavilion Laptop I immediately have an ethernet access to the internet.

Why can't I get ethernet access to the Internet on m y new desktop computer.

Daggles

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Daggles,

Thanks for becoming a member of the HP Support Forums. I understand you are having an issue with wired network connection. I will be glad to help you.

Please follow the steps from Troubleshooting Wired Home Networks (Windows 10).

Please let me know if this information helps to resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution", this will help others easily find the information. 

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @Daggles,

Thanks for becoming a member of the HP Support Forums. I understand you are having an issue with wired network connection. I will be glad to help you.

Please follow the steps from Troubleshooting Wired Home Networks (Windows 10).

Please let me know if this information helps to resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution", this will help others easily find the information. 

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thanks to you for your advice.

I followed the steps, as you advised, up to the point of the step 4. Nothing was helping to fix the problem.

At this point I turned off all the firewals and protection provided by Norton.

I also turned off the WiFi connection that was operating on my Netgear D6300 router. At this point I was not able to connect to the internet at all.

What happened next I am not too sure about but in checking the connection, with what I can't remember because it all worked so well so quick, the problem was fixed.

It was all about the setting of DHCP. It was not activated. When I activated it the ethernet connection started up and I was then able to access the internet over the ethernet connection.

I then restarted the computer and all was still well.

I reset the security settings for the Norton protection. All was still well.

I restarted the computer once again and it continues to be working.

Daggles.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.