Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
PC tower HP EliteDesk 800 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

hello, my pc has a built-in ethernet port (RJ-45) but it seems that the maximum connection speed is 100 Mbps.

Do I need to upgrade with one of these solutions to use fiber (1Gbps) ?

Cattura.PNG

HP Intel Ethernet I210-T1 GbE NIC - networking cards (Wired, PCI-E, Et : Amazon.co.uk: Computers & A...

TP-Link Gigabit PCI Express Network Adapter, 32-bit PCIe interface, Supports operating systems Windo...

Which one do you suggest?

what differences?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes, but when you have the advanced setting on Auto Negotiation, it automatically connects at the best speed available.

Before buying any equipment, get your new internet service up and running and see if you get a 1 GBPS connection afterward.

There are too many things that could be the problem, but I can tell you with 100% accuracy that your PC's onboard ethernet adapter is a gigabit ethernet adapter and should be connecting a 1 GBPS if everything else (modem, router, cables) meets the 1 GBPS specifications.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi:

There is something wrong if you are only getting a 100 MBPS ethernet connection.

Your PC comes standard with an Intel® Ethernet Connection I219LM Gigabit integrated network connection.

You may want to try a different ethernet cable, and I suggest a Cat 6 one.

It has been my experience on HP business desktop PC's when you add a PCIe x1 ethernet adapter, the PC won't boot up and I have never found anyone that found a solution to that, so I cannot recommend you install a PCIe x1 ethernet adapter.

I would rather suggest a USB3 to RJ-45 gigabit ethernet adapter instead, which should work.

You need to plug it into a USB 3 port for the fastest speed.   Something like this.

SUCESO Adattatore USB 3.0 a Ethernet Gigabit RJ45 Adattatore USB di Rete 1000Mbps Ethernet USB 3.0 A...

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply, currently i don't have fiber, maybe this is the reason?

Currently my connection is at 7 Mbps

Cattura2.PNG

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

That shouldn't matter because I have a 200 MBPS internet service and when I connect a PC with a gigabit ethernet adapter to my gigabit router, I get a 1 GBPS connection speed that should provide me with the 200 MBPS download speed that I am paying for (which it does).

Your router may only be 100 MBPS, in which case the connection speed would indeed be only 100 MBPS.

So you need to verify that your current service has gigabit ethernet ports from the modem or router and all of the cables going from those devices are all CAT 6.

The onboard Intel gigabit ethernet adapter can be affected by any of those items not supporting a 1 GBPS transfer speed.

HP Recommended

Maybe i got it, actually i use this powerline

[Vecchio Modello] TP-Link TL-PA411KIT AV500 Nano Starter Kit di Adattatori Powerline, 1 Porta Ethern...

when i get the fiber i don't think i will need it  

Thank you 

You have been very helpful

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You still should be getting a 500 MBPS connection speed according to the specs for those devices, but again...if your internet modem is only 100 MBPS, and your ethernet cables are not CAT 6, then you will only get 100 MBPS out of the gigabit ethernet adapter.

HP Recommended

Thanks, but as you can see there is no 500 Mbps option

for this reason I think it indicates 100mbps

am I still wrong?

Immagine 2021-11-21 173719.png

HP Recommended

Yes, but when you have the advanced setting on Auto Negotiation, it automatically connects at the best speed available.

Before buying any equipment, get your new internet service up and running and see if you get a 1 GBPS connection afterward.

There are too many things that could be the problem, but I can tell you with 100% accuracy that your PC's onboard ethernet adapter is a gigabit ethernet adapter and should be connecting a 1 GBPS if everything else (modem, router, cables) meets the 1 GBPS specifications.

HP Recommended

This solves all my doubts. Thanks.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.