Barry144
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

File transfer

HP Recommended
Pavilion Touch all-in-one
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently purchased my computer from Costco and am trying to copy 150G music file onto it from the Seagate drive where I had stored it. The new computer has a C drive where the "Music" file resides, but it is a smaller 128G drive of which most is used by the operating system. The D drive is named "Data" but the computer will not allow me to copy the file from the Seagate to D, although I was able to create a folder in D.

So, can I put music in D and can the Music file in C be allowed automatically access it? How do I copy files onto th D "Data" drive?

Thank you for the help!!!

3 REPLIES 3
TheOldMan
Level 15
Level 15
10,615 10,611 990 2,991
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

As newer devices incorporate the SSD drives for faster access, we need to change our computing habits.  The SSD is probably too small for the 150Gb music files, and it is not intended for that purpose.  The 😧 drive is named "Data" because files such as the one in question should be put there instead of on the smaller SSD.

With this statement " the computer will not allow me to copy the file from the Seagate to D", please explain what you did and then what message was displayed.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the thumbs up to give Kudos! " >.

Barry144
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

When I tried to drag and drop the file(s) or the folder to D from the Seagate storage, It wouldnt happen. There wasnt a message; just the files could not be copied over to D.

0 Kudos
TheOldMan
Level 15
Level 15
10,615 10,611 990 2,991
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

While drag and drop should work with Windows 10, try using another method.  Assuming you can open the folder the files are in and actually see them, highlighting several by right clicking and choose "copy" from the popup menu.  Then open the folder on the D drive where you want them to be and right click again and pick "paste" from the popup menu.

If that works, then that will be the way to do it.  You can highlight then the rest of the files that you wish to copy  and copy and paste instead of drag and drop.

If that does not work, then there are other ways, but not near as easy.

In response to "So, can I put music in D and can the Music file in C be allowed automatically access it?" - open the music playing software, then show the software where the files are by tell the software to play the files.  Depending on the software of choice, many times just right click the first file and select play from the popup menu.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the thumbs up to give Kudos! " >.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation