Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP - ENVY Phoenix 810-405na
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi there,

Would appreciate some help on this.

Wanting to upgrade my Wi-Fi Adapter for my HP - Envy Phoenix 810-405na but have no clue what to buy, if someone could please help?

It presently has: "Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11 bgn", which is just connecting using 2.4ghz.

Wondering what Wi-Fi Adapter works with this PC, or whether I'd be better off just buying a USB dongle - if so, any recommendations?

Thanks very much!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The only way you will be able to upgrade the internal Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11 bgn wifi card to a dual band card would be if your PC has two antenna wires connected to the card.

Open up the PC and check to see how many antenna wires are connected to your PC.

If there are two, you can upgrade to this model wifi card which you should be able to find on eBay.

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0    HP Part # 710661-001

If it only has one antenna wire connected to it, you will need to purchase a dual band USB wifi adapter.

Below is the link to the service guide for your PC.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03280829

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

The only way you will be able to upgrade the internal Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11 bgn wifi card to a dual band card would be if your PC has two antenna wires connected to the card.

Open up the PC and check to see how many antenna wires are connected to your PC.

If there are two, you can upgrade to this model wifi card which you should be able to find on eBay.

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0    HP Part # 710661-001

If it only has one antenna wire connected to it, you will need to purchase a dual band USB wifi adapter.

Below is the link to the service guide for your PC.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03280829

HP Recommended

Hi Paul, 

I saw your other posts and was hoping you might also respond to mine. 

Thanks a ton for your time. 

Have you heard any good things about specific USB wifi adapters? (I'm happy to spend up to, say, 80 quid?)

Thank you!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Since you live in the UK, there are different model USB dual band wifi adapters sold in the UK than what are sold here.

I would do a search on Amazon.UK and sort by reviews.  I have generally found that the best way to pick a suitable device of any kind (SSD, wifi, memory, graphics card...).

My first option would be to go with the internal Intel card if your PC has two wifi antenna wires attached to the card in there now.

That shouldn't cost you more than 15 to 20 pounds.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=+710661-001&_sacat=0&_sop=15

I bought one from China several years ago for a different PC.

I was in no rush to get it and the price was right.

However, if there is only one antenna wire connected to your internal card, then you will have to go with a USB card or, you could go with a PCIe x1 wifi card if your PC has an open and not blocked PCIe x1 slot.

I have two of the older models like the one below with the 7265AC card.  I got them for $10 each on eBay.  They work great.

It looks like your PC's motherboard has one PCIe x1 slot and it also appears that it has the required 9 pin internal USB connector needed for the Bluetooth to work.  There is a cable that comes with the card (not illustrated in the link below) that you plug one end into the back of the card where the 9 pins are, and the other end to the internal USB connector on the motherboard.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/3TK89AA-INTEL-9260-802-11AC-PCIE/dp/B07DK54S4S/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords...

HP Recommended

Thank you. I've ordered myself this: 

"TP-LINK AC1300 High Gain USB 3.0 Wi-Fi Dongle, Dual Band MU-MIMO Wi-Fi Adapter with 5dBi Antenna for PC/Desktop/Laptop, Supports Windows 10/8.1/8/7"

Seems it should do the trick and has some decent reviews. I think it's a safer solution, given that I'm not as technically competent as yourself; I'd rather bolt something on than break something, and I can get a USB adapter sorted in less than a week. 

Thanks once again (I've logged in to give you kudos - ta). 

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

That model adapter looks like it will work very good, and will have decent throughput.

HP Recommended

Thought I'd just provide an update on the bottom here, in case someone else finds this helpful. 

This did indeed fix my issue; my down speed went from about 20 to 220, and my up from 10 to 20 (y). 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.