Create an account on the HP Community to personalize your profile and ask a question
10-28-2017 09:23 PM
I hope someone can help me - I am having an issue with a new wireless printer we purchased to use with our HP Envy Desktop. The printer works fine - however, it is continuously going "offline" as we print - requiring us to turn off the printer and wait for it to shutdown and then having to turn it back on.
I am far from making anyone "Envious" of this pc setup.... can someone please help me with some guidance? I found this error online and tried some remedies - but none of them are working.
Thanks for help in advance
10-30-2017 08:42 AM
Thanks for the post.
I understand you are facing an issue with your printer going offline, is that right?
Kudos to you for trying to troubleshoot the issue on your own.
Not to worry, I will be glad to assist you.
Are you able to make a copy on the printer?
Are you using a dual band router?
Note: HP Printers do not work or connect to 5Ghz networks. If you are using a dual band router, please give different names to 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks and connect the printer to the 2.4Ghz network.
The easiest way to resolve printer offline issue is by assigning the printer a manual IP Address.
Please follow the procedure mentioned below to assign a Manual IP Address.
- Obtain the IP address of the printer (which can found by pressing the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel)
- Enter the IP address on the web browser (Ex: chrome, IE) to enter the printer EWS page.
- Go to the “Network” tab, click on “Wireless (802.11) then click on “Network address (IPV4)
- Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.
Also, refer to this HP Article for other troubleshooting steps.
Keep me posted.
I am an HP Employee
11-11-2017 05:31 PM
Okay - I finally had a chance to review your guidance - and I did step one (I got the IP Address off the printer - but I have no idea what to do with the next step...."Enter the IP address on the web browser (Ex: chrome, IE) to enter the printer EWS page."
I tried to go to my PC and type it in the web browster of internet explore (microsoft Edge actually) - and it just gave me an error.
Was I supposed to type it in somewhere else?
Please help - I appreciate the support.
12-02-2017 10:19 PM
It still didn't work. I tried your you tube video and was able to print my own HP Network Confirguation Page - but the link you sent for you tube video was for Windows 7- I am using windows 10 (64 bit). I found another you tube video - it says I have the right port and the correct software installed - but when I went to print a test page, it failed.
I've tried this forum several times now, I need to have someone talk me thru this live I think unless you have another answer. I have wasted way too much time on the HP Envy wireless printer. I'm tired of having to turn it off and back on to get it to work, I shouldn't have to do that.
Can you please help me already?
12-21-2017 07:07 AM
Thanks for your patience and assistance - it appears that I have now advanced past the problem I was having with my HP Envy staying online - however, now it is only printing black and not color. Any additional guidance to fix this new problem? Thanks
12-21-2017 06:26 PM - edited 12-21-2017 06:28 PM
I reviewed the post. Thanks for the reply. You've displayed immaculate patience, a never say die spirit and commendable troubleshooting skills to try and resolve the issue. Kudos to you for a job well done. 🙂 I understand that the printer is back online and a new situation has cropped up where the printer prints only in black, I will be glad to assist you here.
For now, try these steps:
- Please make 2 copies in color directly from the printer without any communication from the computer. Then check if it copies correctly.
- If it does not copy in color correctly then the follow all the prescribed steps from this link: http://hp.care/2j653Pt to resolve print quality issues.
- Now check if it gets fixed.
- If the issue persists, then please contact HP phone support to either get the cartridges replaced or the printer replaced as one of them is faulty.
HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://hp.care/2r9wSvP
- Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.
- Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.
- Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.
- Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.
They will be happy to assist you immediately.
If the unit is under warranty, the manufacturer’s warranty should take care of it for you.
Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.
Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂
I am an HP Employee
01-01-2018 07:18 AM - last edited on 01-01-2018 08:20 AM by kevin-t
David - my photocopies worked in color, however, when I went to print an excel document and your original email - it was all done in black and white (despite having colored font in the text of both). I tried to see if there were printer options from the PC that were keeping it in black and white instead of color - but I didn't see any.
I am really starting to lose faith in HP products and I'm ready to return this unit unless you can quickly remedy my problem. We have school projects due for our kids and need a reliable color printer ASAP.
Please let me know what the next steps are to fix this problem. A phone call may work as well.
[Personal Information Removed]