Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

B6D91AF1-C34B-461F-B6C0-085E26209919.jpeg

Hi, 

I could really use some help, I have an HP Pavilion desktop computer I got from work. It’s a p7-1421 PC 

It says on the label it’s Windows 8. It says it’s Wireless LAN 802. 11b/g/n. So my issue is there’s no option to set up WIFI. When I click the network connection icon it says “Network and internet settings: Change settings, such as making a connection metered.” When I click open network and internet settings it ONLY gives me an option to plug in an Ethernet cable, no option for WIFI, when I open device manager and click network adapters I have one that says “Qualcomm Atheros AR8161 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30)” but there is NOTHING in there about a WIRELESS network adapter. I want to use my desktop connected to wireless WIFI. NOT and Ethernet cable. Please help. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Evan97 

Your router may only broadcast 5.0GHz. Please allow it to broadcast DUAL bands. Your machine which has single band: 2.4 GHz (b/g/n) wifi adapter should pick up 2.4GHz SSID and allow you to connect.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.