scottberding
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Hp Pavilion 23 Touchsmart - Internet speed slow

HP Recommended
Pavilion 23 Touchsmart
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

We moved to a new home.  Spectrum providing 400MB download speeds to house.  In same room, two computers consistenly get downloads speeds exceeding 400.  Both are HP desktops.  The third machine (Pavilion 23 Touchsmart) will only get between 30-40MB download speed.

I have plugged in one of the computers which register 400MB download speeds into the wall jack where the Pavilion is plugged in and I am able to get 400MB+.  I have also switched patch cables.  Therefore it is not a cabling issue.

The factory installed NW card is 1GB.  Thinking it might be defective, I bought a USB 3.0 1GB external NW adapter.  Disabled onboard NW card.  Same speeds with external NW adapter.

Does anyone know why the Pavilion would be throttling download speed?  Is there a setting to make sure the NW card is running at 1GB (instead of stepping down to 100 or 10MB possibly)?

Any help appreciated - have been trying to get this working for 11 weeks since we moved into new home.

1 REPLY 1
Barachiel
Retired
Retired
6,247 6,228 314 467
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@scottberding

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

A few things to remember are mentioned below: 

The compatibility of your router with the wireless card, 

If the wireless card is 1x1: supports 2.4 GHz and below - slow connection and download/upload speed, 

If it's 2x2 or more: support 5 GHz and above - Fast connected and speed. 

Here are your Product specifications: Click here for details. 

Let me know how that pans out.

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask any other queries as  well,

Considering, this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help. 🙂

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation