Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I was having trouble with my printer connecting wirelessly to my computer.  While I was on the HP site, a chat popped up and the person on the chat asked if I needed help, which I did.  We ended up on a phone call and I stupidly let him access my computer.  He ended up telling me I had  Blackshades RAT installed on my computer and I needed to have that removed as well as have a firewall and Webroot installed.  I thought I was dealing directly with HP and purchased it.  I haven't felt good about this ever since.  He had me pay via PayPal and told me I could cancel and get a refund within 60 days.  Today I called and asked for a refund.  Now they tell me I will be refunded for all but $99 which was for the technician to remove Blackshades and check my computer.  Any advice is appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@mamcg 

You were not talking to HP.

There are a LOT of fake "look alike" websites on the Internet that are not the real HP website.

HP Website does not pop up, chat, and worm-promise-and-force into your computer to "remove" bugs.

Sigh.

I am sorry it happened.

Contact your bank - have the charges reversed.

Change every single password you have.

Assume that while the thief was in your computer, that he stole everything he could find.

Assume your computer is now infected - Run your best security software to scan every corner of the File system!

I will forward your issue for review.

If you hear back, the agent will post HERE before using any other means to contact you.

Request for Review

• I have submitted a request that our Community moderators review your question / concern.

Worth Noting

• Our Community is not an HP business group.
  • We are not HP Technical Support, nor are we HP Sales, Service, or Warranty.
  • Our request for assistance on your behalf does not influence the outcome:  Our request is not a magic back door into HP Support.
  • The time frame (how long it takes) for a response is not controlled by the Community.
  • If / When there is a response, a Community moderator / agent will (should) post back on this thread before using other methods to contact you. 

Important

• Do not contact random numbers posted in a public or private message by “new members”.  Vermin are looking for victims – don’t be next.
  • Please do not post any personal or case information here - we cannot make use of the data. 
  • Posting personal information at a public site increases your risk from rats and scammers.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

READ – Be Informed – Be Aware

HP Fraud Alert: Protecting Yourself from Scams | HP® Official Site

HP Fraud Alert: Protect Yourself from Scams, Report Suspicious Calls

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

Reminder:  The Community is not an HP business group.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question Resolved / Answered, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@mamcg 

You were not talking to HP.

There are a LOT of fake "look alike" websites on the Internet that are not the real HP website.

HP Website does not pop up, chat, and worm-promise-and-force into your computer to "remove" bugs.

Sigh.

I am sorry it happened.

Contact your bank - have the charges reversed.

Change every single password you have.

Assume that while the thief was in your computer, that he stole everything he could find.

Assume your computer is now infected - Run your best security software to scan every corner of the File system!

I will forward your issue for review.

If you hear back, the agent will post HERE before using any other means to contact you.

Request for Review

• I have submitted a request that our Community moderators review your question / concern.

Worth Noting

• Our Community is not an HP business group.
  • We are not HP Technical Support, nor are we HP Sales, Service, or Warranty.
  • Our request for assistance on your behalf does not influence the outcome:  Our request is not a magic back door into HP Support.
  • The time frame (how long it takes) for a response is not controlled by the Community.
  • If / When there is a response, a Community moderator / agent will (should) post back on this thread before using other methods to contact you. 

Important

• Do not contact random numbers posted in a public or private message by “new members”.  Vermin are looking for victims – don’t be next.
  • Please do not post any personal or case information here - we cannot make use of the data. 
  • Posting personal information at a public site increases your risk from rats and scammers.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

READ – Be Informed – Be Aware

HP Fraud Alert: Protecting Yourself from Scams | HP® Official Site

HP Fraud Alert: Protect Yourself from Scams, Report Suspicious Calls

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response.  

HP Recommended

@mamcg 

You are welcome.

I am sorry that I likely scared you.

You are not the only one to fall victim to someone gaining access to your computer and information.

I realize that doesn't help.

Stay Safe.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I've contacted a local computer repair company, taking it in today.  They told me to disconnect it from the internet and change my passwords as you also said.  I  also contacted Paypal and was refunded all but $99 which they said was for removing the Blackshades RAT.   

HP Recommended

Hey @mamcg 

Sorry that this has happened with you, it's really unfortunate.

As for scammers in the community:

Be alert for scammers who may be posing as HP support representatives, particularly those who claim to be “HP Helpdesk”.

Only call numbers from people who have a HP badge on their profile page.

If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on the blue "Report Inappropriate Content" button above the message in the Private Message portion of the Community.

Thank you!

Kind regards,

MarcusC

I work on behalf of HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.