Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion HPE 150T
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Had two problems.  My AVG was locking up my computer with the watchdog function.  I was able to get past it and get the AVG uninstalled.  Now I can't get the computer to connect to the internet.  I've updated the ethernet driver but it still won't work.  Says there is an issue with the driver.  I used a wireless adapter and it shows as connected but also says there is an issue with the driver.  I've turned off all security settings I can find.  AVG, Windows Defender, firewall, true key.  I've done the sfc scan now and it didn't find anything.  It won't let me reset the pc, restore the pc or anything.  I tried to update the BIOS, I think I already have, and it says it's "denied" see administrator.  When I tried to reset the nsch it said it was "denied".  I'm not sure what is blocking the connection.  The internet works all over my house except for this one computer.   Suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Okay, I figured it out.  None of the support stuff helped but thanks for trying.  I am still getting the Microsoft Security error message on boot up.  I noticed that when windows defender popped up it asked about McAfee, I don't have McAfee installed I used to have it and I saw where True Key is a McAfee product.  But I've always felt like something was blocking the connection.  I ran the AVG removal tool again, and once again it showed the AVG protection there.  I completed the removal. still nothing.  I went to ethernet properties and there I saw a place for AVG file filter.  I unchecked it and BAM my internet connection was back up.  So nope wasn't windows.  That file kept loading with the drivers and I saw it everytime but never uninstalled it.  Felt stupid, frustrated and angry once I got down to it.  I've been very dissappointed with AVG lately. 

Thanks Support for trying to help me, I did learn alot during this mess. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Bryanburns2004 Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. 
For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

As I understand the desktop isn't connecting to the internet anymore,
Don't worry as I have a few steps to help resolve this concern,

Although, to provide an accurate solution, I need a few more details:

When was the last time it worked (date)?

Have you performed any other steps apart from the ones mentioned?

Do you get any symbol on the network connection (red X or exclamation mark) ?

What is the status of the light on the network adapter port (Blinking or steady light)?

Meanwhile, I recommend performing a driver rollback to resolve the issue using the device manager,

You could also download the latest drivers from the official HP Website: Click here

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!
Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I went to Realtec's website and downloaded the driver that they indicated was compatible with Windows 10, it still didn't help.  I went back to HP's website and downloaded their driver.  However they do not list compatible driver's for my computer for Win 10.  I've uninstalled it, I've rolled the driver back, now it's grayed out and does not list the option as available.  Initially I was getting the red X, on boot but now it's gone to the exlamation saying "limited connection". 

The problem started last week it has been running fine.  There have been 5 Windows update since 10/12. 

I have alos gotten a Windows Security Client error  message which is my understanding that I should not be receiving, since Win 10 uses the Defender program.   I've looked through the program files to uninstal it but can't find it anywhere but it still comes up sometimes. 

I've tried to reset the IP, renew, release...nothing.  When I try it doesn't recognize the user name that it just listed. 

In error details it tells me the IP can't bind the stack.  I attached a Net Gear Wireless adapter and uploaded the drivers for it.  It would show it conneted but also would not allow a connection. 

It won't let me sign in under my normal user.  If I use a boot cd to get to command prompt it will take my password but when I login under that profile it won't open.  I have another user profile with administrator privelages that I've been using but nothing has worked. 

I've tried Reset, Restore they all fail.

The network light on the Car is blinking...I have reset my wireless router, I have plugged the computer directly into the cable modem and reset them that way. 

I have a system image on my computer but I think it is the old windows 7.  I tried to go back to the previous build -failed. and started to go back to windows 7 and I believe it failed too.  I've done everything I can thinnk of.  I did locate a thread on running the driver's in compatability mode, that I will try when I get home. And...

I have the recovery disks I made when I got the computer and that I have not tried yet.  But there has to be an easier fix than that.

HP Recommended

@Bryanburns2004

Thank you for replying,

Here's an extensive support article to resolve any issues related to HP PCs - Troubleshooting Wired Home Networks (Windows 10)

Having that said, if you've attempted to reinstall windows 7 and failed, it's possible that the failure may have corrupted certain windows files causing the issue to begin with,

In this scenario, i recommend reinstalling windows using the recovery discs.

If the issue persists, run a hardware test on the network adapter using the Hardware diagnostics tool

Capture the failure ID, if any and reply for further assistance.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have ran all of the Troubleshooter and Diagnostics tests.  The diagnostic tests all passed.  The troubleshooter gives me the error for not being able to bind the stack.  I didn't try to reinstall windows 7.  I used a recovery disc once to get to the Admin command prompt to run the IPconfig stuff.  I did try to use the Win 10 tool to go back to windows 7 and that did not work it immediately tells you there was an error.  Just like with the PC reset. 

HP Recommended

@

I appreciate the prompt reply,

However, as mentioned in the article I had shared earlier,

Step 7: Using Microsoft System Restore

Microsoft System Restore uses the automatically-saved information to restore your computer to a certain point in time. Using Microsoft System Restore can restore your computer to a time when the Internet connection was working properly. For more information, refer to Using Microsoft System Restore.

When you have restored your computer, try connecting to the Internet again. If you do not experience further problems with the network, you are done.

If you are still experiencing problems with the network, use HP System Recovery.

Step 8: Using HP System Recovery

HP System Recovery resets your computer back to its original factory condition. All important files, software, and programs should be saved before performing a System Recovery. For more information, refer to Performing an HP System Recovery.

Needs to be done, if the driver reinstallation didn't work as you've mentioned before.

Let me know how that pans out.

Regards

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Okay, I figured it out.  None of the support stuff helped but thanks for trying.  I am still getting the Microsoft Security error message on boot up.  I noticed that when windows defender popped up it asked about McAfee, I don't have McAfee installed I used to have it and I saw where True Key is a McAfee product.  But I've always felt like something was blocking the connection.  I ran the AVG removal tool again, and once again it showed the AVG protection there.  I completed the removal. still nothing.  I went to ethernet properties and there I saw a place for AVG file filter.  I unchecked it and BAM my internet connection was back up.  So nope wasn't windows.  That file kept loading with the drivers and I saw it everytime but never uninstalled it.  Felt stupid, frustrated and angry once I got down to it.  I've been very dissappointed with AVG lately. 

Thanks Support for trying to help me, I did learn alot during this mess. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.