Level 1
11 9 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Intel 4 port Ethernet cards prevent my HP from booting

HP Recommended
dc7900 sff
Linux
I cannot update the firmware or BIOS, so I’m not sure if the BIOS update will fix this. I purchased two EXPI9404VT cards and when I put even one of them in this machine, the BIOS splash screen shows, bub it freezes. At that point I cannot enter setup or anything. I know these cards should be compatible with this system. Any ideas? I really want to use these cards to build a pfsense box.
5 REPLIES 5
CF4
Level 9
5,904 5,889 206 526
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

Power Supply
  • 240 W active PFC
  • 365 W active PFC

Could it be a small PSU and a problem there?

I don't see any recent BIOS updates available.

#####

Allows quad-port operation in almost any PCI Express server slot, except x1 slots, and allows each port to operate without interfering with the other.

LSI PCIe x1 Hi-Speed 56K International SoftModem

#######

So are they x1 slots?

0 Kudos
rexmundi41
Author
Level 1
11 9 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I plugged in an ATX 500 watt power supply and it made no difference. Also what are you referencing about an x1 56k modem? I’m talking about x4 4-port Ethernet cards. I even gave you the model number. I was as specific as possible.
0 Kudos
CF4
Level 9
5,904 5,889 206 526
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

So it is not a PSU problem then.

Yes I know.

I looked them up.  I posted a piece from the Spec and here it is again.

Allows quad-port operation in almost any PCI Express server slot, except x1 slots, and allows each port to operate without interfering with the other.

AND my question still stands

So are they x1 slots?

BYE.

0 Kudos
rexmundi41
Author
Level 1
11 9 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Am I speaking a different language or what? I never mentioned anything about x1. Did you look up the dc7900? It has only one x1 slot. The cards are x4. You cannot plug an x4 card into an x1 slot. I am plugging them into x16 slots. There are two x16 slots. One of them is wired as x16, the other is wired as x8.
0 Kudos
rexmundi41
Author
Level 1
11 9 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I’m not trying to be a jerk, but I meticulously ensure that every pertinent detail is explained in my post, and all I get are answers to questions I didn’t ask about parts I don’t have. I posted another question and got the same thing.
0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation