Health_Points-1
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Internet Usage causes Computer Latency Problems

HP Recommended
CQ5110Y
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My computer slows down and experiences severe latency whenever I use the internet.

Using the internet causes severe latency on my computer. Network traffic does not significantly increase cpu usage. However, it causes severe latency that I measured by latency monitoring software. The most notable effect of this is on audio, which is extremely choppy whenever I access webpages or whenever spotify loads new content. I have all of my drivers completely up to date. I changed from the on board audio to an audio card thinking that the problem was with the audio driver. Then I switched to wireless USB network adapter and disabled the on board network driver, which decreased the frequency of the latency spikes; however, the problem still persists.

This problem is more annoying than you might expect, especially considering that I put serious money (by my standards) into upgrading this system and that I can't even enjoy youtube or spotify. Any help at all would be appreciated, thank you.

Additional System Specifications:
Compaq CQ5110Y
64 bit windows 10
Kingston SUV400S3712 SCSI
AMD Phenom 9500 Quad Core 2.2 GHz
6BG RAM
SB Audigy Audio Card + integrated realtek alc888S Audio (I'm not currently using the integrated audio, which is disabled)
GeForce GTS 250 setup for dual monitors
PCI-SV92EX Soft Modem
150 Mbs Wireless 802.11b/g/n Nano USB Adaptor
NOTE: I had the same problem with the default built-in Realtek RTL8201N 100Mb/s 10-Base-T Ethernet so it probably has more to do with networking in general and not the particular networking card/adapter.
M2N68-LA AKA Narro5 Motherboard

5 REPLIES 5
Dvortex
Retired
Retired
9,855 9,843 924 1,609
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, @Health_Points-1 – Hope you are well 🙂

Thanks for reaching out to HP Support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips!

I understand that you are having latency issues while using the internet. Is this issue only happening while streaming videos online? Let me know.

If the issue is specific to online video streaming, I'd suggest you try and use a different browser to try and fix the issue. Download Google Chrome and check. 

Alternatively, I would suggest 2 important steps to try and fix this issue.

Solution 1: Update the Adobe Flash & Shockwave Player

Go to http://hp.care/2ecP6aA to download and update the Adobe Flash player. Restart the PC once done.

Go to https://adobe.ly/2nb9Vp7 to download and update the Adobe Shockwave player. Restart the PC and check for issue resolution.

Solution 2: Perform SFC scan on your computer:

• Right-click on the Windows logo on the bottom-right corner of your screen and select Command Prompt (Admin) to open the command prompt.
  • In the Command Prompt window type the following, and press Enter: sfc /scannow
  • The process will take some time to finish. Restart the PC once done and check.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

Have a great day 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
Health_Points-1
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for responding Dvortex. The problem persists with all sorts of online media, including spotify and World of Tanks updates, so it is unlikely that it is related to Adobe Flash or my internet browser.

I think I will try your suggestion of doing an sfc scan, but for now I am caught up trying to reinstall an earlier version of my network driver using compatibility mode. I will update the thread in a day or two and tell you how it turned out.

0 Kudos
Tags (2)
Dvortex
Retired
Retired
9,855 9,843 924 1,609
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, @Health_Points-1

Thanks for the update!

Let me know if that helps by marking my post as a Solution!

Also, try the steps here if the issue persists: http://hp.care/2oZ5tvH 

I hope that helps! Let me know!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
Health_Points-1
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Dvortex,

Unfortunately your solution didn't fix the problem. The system file check found no issues and nothing changed when I restarted my computer.

I tried the solutions you linked to, and none of them worked out. 

The driver update solution didn't work because when I try to download the drivers, even in compatibility mode, it produces the message "Your system does not meet the operating system requirements. Update has been cancelled. (9998)"

This probably has to do with me using windows 10 while the driver listed on the hp support website is only supported for up to windows 7. I have read that for products purchased before 2013 (my product), I am supposed to update drivers through windows device manager because updates would be unlisted on the hp website. See the link below.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/product/compaq-presario-cq5100-desktop-pc-series/3942817/model/3978591/...

Any updates that I have installed through windows update recommendations have also failed to solve my problem. I suppose what I am really looking for is a driver update for windows 10.

But anyhow, thanks for your time and if you have any more ideas that would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
Dvortex
Retired
Retired
9,855 9,843 924 1,609
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, @Health_Points-1

Appreciate your efforts!

As a last resort, I'd suggest you perform a clean install of Windows 10. Instead of upgrading from Windows 7, format the PC and install the Windows 10 from scratch. 

Once the Windows 10 is installed, then use the HP Support Assistant to update the drivers. you can also use the device manager to update.

Hope that helps! Let me know!

Thank you 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation