dpvball82
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Issue: Turn On Wireless Capability

HP Recommended
Pavilion 500-205t
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Unable to connect to internet.  When clicking "diagnose" windows states "Turn on Wireless Capability - Use the switch on the front or side of the computer, or function keys if available, to enable wireless capability on this computer."
When going to "Change adapter settings" in Network and Sharing Center, wireless network connection is enabled (have tried disabling and re-enabling) and not connected.
Keyboard does not have Fn key.  Latest driver softare has been downloaded.  Wireless has been uninstalled from Device Manager and reinstalled upon windows restart.  Unsure what else to do... any suggestions?

5 REPLIES 5
Dvortex
Retired
Retired
9,855 9,843 924 1,609
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, @dpvball82 – Hope you are well 🙂

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!  It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel!

I see that you are having issues with the wireless setup on your HP Desktop PC. Greatly appreciate all the troubleshooting steps that you have done already 🙂

I’d further suggest you test the wireless module to determine any hardware failure with the card. If the test passes, then try to create a new user account and check.

Perform the hardware test for network & internet connectivity from here: http://hp.care/2vIUpTc

Let me know the test results.

If the test passes, create a new user account on your PC and check if the wireless is working on the new account.

I hope that answers your concern adequately. Let me know!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
0 Kudos
dpvball82
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @Dvortex, thanks for the reply (sorry for the delayed response).
I've followed the steps in the link provided using the HP Support Assistant. 
Steps taken:

- Launch HP Support Assistant
- Select my HP Desktop

- Run the HP Network Check tool via Diagnostics and Tools

Outcome:
When hardwired to ethernet, connection established and no issue found

When not hardwired to the ethernet (using Wi-Fi), there's an issue.

- HP Support Assistant diagnosed issue

- HP Support Assistant reset the "Ralink RT3290 802.11bgn Wi-Fi Adapter" adapter

- HP Support Assistant reset the "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller" adapter

Error message displayed: "Connection Status - The possible root causes for your network issues are listed below" with the Possible Root Causes being:

- Wireless networking is disabled (100)

- No Ethernet network detected (102)

When clicking in to "Wireless Networking is disabled," the following message displays: "Wireless Capability is Turned Off"

- Restart your broadband modem and router <- went through this step, and issue still exists.  All other home devices (Smart TV, smartphones, ipad, etc.) can connect to the wireless network without issue.

- Press the wireless button or key on your computer to turn on the wireless features <- I cannot for the life of me find where this might be on the desktop computer. 

Any thoughts?  Thanks for the support.

0 Kudos
Dvortex
Retired
Retired
9,855 9,843 924 1,609
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, @nakatish

Thanks for the update!

Reset the TCP/IP settings on your PC:

1. Go to your start screen/menu and type CMD.

2. Right click on the command prompt icon and chose Run as administrator.

3. In the window that opens type "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" without quotes, and press enter.

4. Restart your PC and test.

It may also help to reset the winsock catalogue:

1. Go to your start screen/menu and type CMD.

2. Right click on the command prompt icon and chose Run as administrator.

3. In the window that opens type "netsh winsock reset" without quotes, and press enter.

4. Restart your PC and test.

If the issue persists, go to http://hp.care/2uG5b00 and install the ralink drivers here: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp64501-65000/sp64950.exe 

Let me know how that goes!

Cheers 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
0 Kudos
dpvball82
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Dvortex, thank you again for the support.  Unfortunately, none of these solutions seems to fix the issue.  Here is a summary of what happened when following your latest recommendations.

1. Reseting the TCP/IP settings

- Followed the steps provided

- CMD stated "OK!"

- Restarted computer

- Went to Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network Connections > Change Adapter Settings
Result: Wireless Network Connection displays 5 green signal bars and a red "X" stating "Not Connected"

When right clicking and selecting "Diagnose" the message "Turn On Wireless Capability" displays

2. Reseting the Winsock Catalogue

- Followed the steps provided

- CMD instructed to restart computer

- Restarted computer

Result: Same result as #1 above

3. Install Ralink drivers

- Clicked on the 2nd link provided (sp64950.exe)

Result: Firefox browser opened a new browser tab and a pop-up message stating "550 Failed to change directory" appeared

- Clicked on the 1st link provided

- Scrolled to the bottom of the page where "Answer/Solution" section stated to download and install Ralink driver, with link provided.

- Followed link to download

- Downloaded and installed

- Restarted computer

Result: Same result as #1 above

Unfortunately the issue still persists.  Other suggestions?

0 Kudos
Dvortex
Retired
Retired
9,855 9,843 924 1,609
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, @dpvball82

Appreciate all your efforts! It looks like a hardware issue with the wireless card on your PC 😞

Please go through the steps listed here: http://hp.care/2nZbhm1 

You can skip the steps which you have done already. 

If the issue persists, the last step would be to perform a complete recovery on your PC. This option reformats the system drive (usually C:), reinstalls the original operating system and reinstall all the original hardware drivers and software. Hence please back up all your files before you attempt this step.

Follow the steps here to perform the recovery: http://bit.ly/2t5yGV4 

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help! 

Good luck 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation