4 2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

LAN issues on 500-205t OCT Desktop PC

HP Recommended
hp pavilion 500-205t CTO Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello All,

W recently lost hard-wire LAN connection from our Desktop PC to our Verizon Model 7500 DSL LAN/Wireless modem.  I tried downloading the approprate drivers for the Realtek NIC from HP's web site (using their recommended SW).  The download went fine, but running the driver package failed and gave this message: (Realtek Network Controller Device:  Your system does not meet the mimimum requirements for this update.  Update cancelled (9996)).  Note: I ran the installation as administrator.

Note:  the wireless connection from the PC to the modem works.  That's what I'm using now, but it's painfully slow!

I tried running the update several times -- after reboots, in safe-mode, etc.  -- nothing worked.

In Device Manager under Network Adapters, the only things listed are wi-fi or bluetooth items; no LAN items listed.

I found an app on the internet -- Driver Easy -- that automatically searches for driver updates on your PC.  I ran the Driver Easy scan.  What was telling is that Driver Easy said it couldn't update the Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller driver until I plugged the device in.

I removed the cover on the Desktop PC and found that there was no ethernet 'card', but there was instead a module soldered to the motherboard that contained the connection slots for the LAN cables, etc.  In other words, a non-user-replacable "LAN card."

I then replaced the PC cover, rebooted the PC and watched the small leds next to the ethernet plug on the back of the PC.  The leds never lit (the LAN cable was connected to the PC and the modem).  The wireless connection still works fine.

Based on these observations I'm guessing that the ethernet hardware may have failed.

Note: I have connected a laptop to the Verizon DSL modem using the same cable as used on the PC, and the LAN connection worked fine with the laptop.

Does anyone have any idea on where to go from here?  BTW, the warrenty on the Desktop PC is expired.....

Thanks for your help!

Best regards,

Bill

3 REPLIES 3
Big_Dave
Level 15
28,006 27,535 1,810 5,049
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

HNY!:smileyhappy:

Try the procedures listed in this manual.

If no joy with the above, then try the procedures.

If still no joy, then try clearing the CMOS. Unplug the PC, hold the power button down for 30 seconds, and now move the CMOS jumpers to the left for 60 seconds and then move them back. Now plug in the PC and give it a go.

Memphis CMOS jumpers.png

If you are still not having any success at this point then boot up, go to device manager and look for any anomalies such as unknown device, yellow exclamation points red Xs ect. Look under the network adapters and see if there is an ethernet adapter listed.

Strip off and unplug and USB devices except for a wired mouse and wired keyboard while you are tying to resolve the issue.

If any Microsoft updates were recently applied you your PC then consider going back to the previous good restore point.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
0 Kudos
Bill_C22
Author
4 2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Big Dave,

Serious question!!  Before you read the rest of my response, I have a BIG question.  I fumbled pulling the jumpers from the CMOS/Password connectors on the MotherBoard, and I'm not sure I replaced them in the proper orientation!  It's unclear from the picture you posted if they go 'left-to-right,' or 'up-to-down.'  Could you clarify that for me.  There are no specific markings on the MB to indicate their positioning.  I tried positioning them in 'both' orientations and could not see any difference in the system after reboot.

I ran the diagnostic tests as instructed (UEFI test?) during computer start-up.  I first ran the 'Quick Test,' and all tests passed.  I then ran the 'Network Test,' and got this response:

"UEFI networking does not appear to be supported or enabled on the system.  Please check the BIOS settings to make sure UEFI network option ROMS are enabled and that UEFI network boot is enabled."

I accessed the BIOS (PC startup, F11), but could not find any settings within the BIOS that corresponded with the 'Network Test' message.  I exited the BIOS by selecting the 'Default Settings,' but nothing has changed on the PC in terms of Networking (i.e. still no LAN).

Did I miss something in the BIOS settings, or did I misinterpret the message?

Thanks for your assistance in this perplexing matter!

Additional:  I took your advice and reset the CMOS/Password connectors on the mother board as per your instructions.  After system boot, nothing had changed.  No changes in the Device Manager, either (please see screen shot below)...

Best regards,

Bill

Here is a screen shot of my Device Manager: Network Adapters,   for what it's worth......

Device Manager: Network AdaptersDevice Manager: Network Adapters

0 Kudos
Big_Dave
Level 15
28,006 27,535 1,810 5,049
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

When you are in Device Manager, look under view select Hidden Devices. Now go look under Network Devices.

Another suggestion is to unplug the PC, and remove the CMOS battery for 60 seconds. While the battery is out, measure it with a volt-ohm-meter. I would replace any battery ($4) reading less than 3v.

Be sure that your ethernet connection is unplugged when testing to resolve the issue.

I have no idea what you did with the CMOS jumpers based on your explanations. That's for you to solve. Just get back to the normal operating positions.

Review ALL of the suggestions from my first post.

Lastly, try the UEFI diagnostics.  Power on and then start tapping the ESC key. A menu will appear then select Diagnostics and run a full set.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation