Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
P7-1414
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

We have a router unfortunately not using dual band so we have two SSID each for 2.4Hz and 5Hz. 

The HP-P7-1414-Ralink-RT5390R-802-11bgn-Wi-Fi-Adapter/td-p/6199741 will not support 5Hz.

It is AMD processor. I have updated to latest driver. Any suggestions for a new card that will be friendly with AMD?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

You will only be able to upgrade to a dual band card if your PC has two antenna wires connected to the wifi card in there now.

If it does, you can install this AC card...

Broadcom BCM4352 802.11ac 2x2 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0 combo  HP Part # 724935-001

You should be able to find one on eBay.  Search by the HP part number, not the model of the wifi card.

If your PC only has one wifi antenna cable, I recommend you purchase a USB dual band wifi adapter.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

You will only be able to upgrade to a dual band card if your PC has two antenna wires connected to the wifi card in there now.

If it does, you can install this AC card...

Broadcom BCM4352 802.11ac 2x2 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0 combo  HP Part # 724935-001

You should be able to find one on eBay.  Search by the HP part number, not the model of the wifi card.

If your PC only has one wifi antenna cable, I recommend you purchase a USB dual band wifi adapter.

HP Recommended

Dear Expert Paul,  thanks for the very quick reply. I like the idea of a dual band USB WiFi adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PKMFPF7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I found on Amazon $32.00 and has advantage of multi-use should I change out the P7-1414 which has become slow for some apps.

Adapter manufacturer says USB must be good signal strength and steady current. I assume as a tower with constant power it should be OK?

Wish I could update P7-1414 as Adobe Creative Cloud apps choke... 

But I love this computer as has all the card readers, dvd/cd drive etc... 

Thanks so very much! Todd

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Todd.

Yes, that wifi adapter should work just fine for your PC, and I like the fact that it has an extension USB cable so you can either plug the device directly into the back of the PC or maybe get a better signal strength by connecting the extension cable and placing the antennas elsewhere, such as on your desk.

Just make sure when you get it to disconnect from the Ralink wifi connection,

HP Recommended

Dear Paul, this is so helpful! Even our new ISP did not have a clue. So thanks for sharing your knowledge! Todd

HP Recommended

Anytime, Todd.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Please reply back and let us know how the USB wifi adapter works for you.

Paul

HP Recommended

Dear Expert Paul, received the network adapter USB today and installed and it works beautifly! The manufacturer highly recommended USB 3 and I thought no way this older HP p7-1414 will have USB 3. They have two of them!

This computer has been one of the best computers I have owned. It is family computer but it has the optical drive, SD readers, expansion slots etc.... '

As stuck home  I think I would like to increase RAM and whatever else may speed it up. 

So thanks again! Todd

HP Recommended

That is great news, Todd.

Glad you picked out a winning wifi adapter.

Enjoy!

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.