Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 251-a244
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello. My computer did a normal windows update on 5/5/17. After this update my wireless driver is missing. The CMD "netsh wlan show drivers" says "there is no wireless interface on the system." Network & Internet under settings only lists Ethernet and not WiFi. Before the update, the wifi was working fine. I reinstalled the "Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller" and that did not help either. How can I get wifi back on my computer?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello. I fixed the problem, but not sure how. I unplugged everything from the computer, opened up the computer. The wireless card is affixed to the hard drive, so I couldn't take it out and plug it in again. I put eveything back together, plugged everything back in and it works fine now. The only thing I really did was unplug everything from the back of the computer and then put it all back.

Thank you for your responses and trying to help me fix the issue.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Loopy781

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

As I understand the Wifi Driver is Missing After Update on 5/5/17,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Did you attempt to troubleshoot using the windows repair features?

When was the last time it worked, did you attempt a system restore?

While you respond to that, here's a few things you can do to fix the issue:

Method 1:

Run the hardware troubleshooter and check the issue status.

Follow the steps:

1. Type “Troubleshooter” in the Search box and hit enter.

2. Select “Hardware and Sound” from the Troubleshooter Window.

3. Select “Hardware and Devices” under Devices option.

4. Follow the On-Screen instructions.

Method 2:

Update the Wireless Adapter drivers.

Type “Windows Update” in the Search box and select “Check for Updates” to receive a fresh list of updates that should fix this issue.

Also, try this related post to fix common internet issues: Click here

Keep me posted for further assistance 😉

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

Yes I tried to troubleshoot using the sytem repair, but it only picks up the ethernet cable, not wifi. If I take out the cable, it says to plug it in. The last time wifi worked was before 5/5/17. I have not done a system retore. No restore point was set up on the computer and I do not want to loose my files and settings. 

Method 1: the troubleshooter is finding no issues

Method 2: Windows update says it is up to date.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hi @Loopy781, I am the @Chimney_83. It looks like you were interacting with @Riddle_Decipher, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

Thanks for the reply and trying the troubleshooting steps suggested. 

To be able to assist you better, I would like some more information from you. 

If you open device manager, do you see any wireless adapters listed?

Are there any unknown devices listed in device manager?

Have you selected the option to show hidden devices in device manager?

If the wireless adapter is not listed in device manager and if you are comfortable to open the computer. 

Recommend you open the computer and reseat the wireless card. 

When I check specifications of your computer, I see the wireless card is installed in the PCI slot. 

If the issue persists, try installing the driver from this link

Also, refer to this HP Article for other troubleshooting steps. 

Let me know if this helped. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello. I fixed the problem, but not sure how. I unplugged everything from the computer, opened up the computer. The wireless card is affixed to the hard drive, so I couldn't take it out and plug it in again. I put eveything back together, plugged everything back in and it works fine now. The only thing I really did was unplug everything from the back of the computer and then put it all back.

Thank you for your responses and trying to help me fix the issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.