markfuerst
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

My desktop interferes with internet speeds at the modem

HP Recommended
HP Pavilion All-in-One 24-r0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

For most of the last year, I have been contacting my internet service provider to help me diagnose what seems to be slow download speeds.  It was intermittent and very difficult to find the source of the problem.  When I was troubleshooting the problem, I would sometimes use speed and ping tests from my desktop--but even if I went to other areas of the small office network, I always kept my HP desktop on.  Then, yesterday, it suddenly occured to me to search on the statement "my desktop is interfering with my internet speed."  I found a wide range of discussions, including some in this help desk discussion.  None of those discussions seemed to address the nature of the issue I am seeing.  Here it is: I have both wired and wireless networking running from a DSL modem behind my desk.  I often experience severely restricted data throughput, with download numbers below 1 M on a DSL line that is supposed to carry up to 15 M.  More often, I see some kind of restriction or interference that causes the throughput to fall to half or less (4 to 5M) with very high Latency scores (400 to 800 ms or higher).

What I discovered yesterday is this: when I shut off my HP All-in-one, the interference disappears, and the throughput returns to near-optimum levels--in a matter of seconds.  I tested and retested this: turn on the HP, throughput fall;  turn it off, the throughput jumps.

Most of the discussion about internet slowness on HPs (and other desktops) was around the interference to wireless caused by USB 3.0 devices (USB 3.0Radio Frequency Interference Impact on 2.4GHz Wireless Devices). 

Because I use the wireless mouse and keyboard provided with the HP All-in-one, I decided that this might be the problem, so I moved the USB plug-in for those devices to a more remote location (it was in the back side of the monitor).  No improvement.  This does not seem to be the problem. 

I went back to searching and discovered some notes in your discussion board about updating drivers for network devices.  I went through the network devices and started updating. 

It is too early to say if this will provide a solution. 

Have you seen this kind of problem before?  Do you know the source of the issue?  Is this a Windows 10 problem?  Is it caused by the processor in the desktop consuming most of the available bandwidth? 

Please advice and let me know if you have heard about this in any other installations.

Thank you,

MF

1 REPLY 1
Raj1788
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
11,683 11,674 582 662
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@markfuerst

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries.

Could you please help m with the exact model or product number to assists you better.

Click on this link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108 to find the Model Number or Product Number.

In the meantime, use this link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-24-r000-all-in-one-desktop-pc-series/17210305/model... for slow internet.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation