desertcat1
6 3 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post

Need Last Available BIOS Update for a HP Pavilion d4790y

HP Recommended
HP Pavilion d4790y
Linux

I have come into possessionof a very old  HP Pavilion  d4790y that has a  ASUS P5BW-LE  motherboard, the computer was really and most truly DEAD. After fooling around I determined thatone of the two 250GB HDD could still be used but the BIOS did not recognize it. I placed the drive in my workstation, ran fdisk -l on it and determined that there were still to partitions on it but were unaccessable. I made the disk functionable again by installing CentOS 7.3 1611Linux on it. NOW after some more fiddling I finally got the BIOS to come up, and the OS to boot. I soon discovered that I had no network connection at all. After a number of reboots I kept seeing a messahe that kept flashing by that read, "The NVM Checksum is Not Valid". After further research I discovered that this is causing the network problem. The Ethernet Controller which is at the heart of the problem is a Intel Corp. 82566DC Gigabit Network Connection (Rev 02) and if i can "fix" or reset the checksum to its correct value I *should* have network access again. BIOS is a logical place to start, but HP can even tell me what the last published BIOS update was. My current version is 5.08 released 30 Mar 2007. The first d4790y computers were first released on 09-Mar-2007, and this particular computer was built 5 days later on 14 Mar 2007, and making this one of the first computers built which suggests that there was at least one BIOS update. The question is if there were subsequent BIOS updates and what was the LAST released BIOS version.  It is hoped that by updating the BIOS to the latest version it will reset the NVM Checksum. If anyone else has come across the "The NVM Checksum is Not Valid" error message how did you fix it? 

Thanks in advance for your help.

9 REPLIES 9
Big_Dave
Level 15
28,006 27,535 1,810 5,049
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Replace the CMOS battery. It's a $4 item.

The HP Pavilion D47xx series have been retired by HP and are no longer supported.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
0 Kudos
savvy2
Level 7
1,432 1,383 40 124
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

new coin cell is first

do not flash it.! or you  may brick it.

getting all the drivers for an old machine takes hard work.

if runninng CentOS 7.3 1611Linux 

why not join the linux forum to ask how to get all your linux drivers working.

why not run Ubuntu newest release. ?

with the new  coin cell, 3vdc (3.3v is type new in box) 2.9v or less is the cliff of death, on coins.

the PC will then boot to any media. see. that.

if you discovered that ,why mess with BIOS at all (flashing)  it boots leave it alone? and work the new OS?

NO warranty answers by me.
0 Kudos
desertcat1
Author
6 3 0 0
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@savvy2 wrote:

new coin cell is first

with the new  coin cell, 3vdc (3.3v is type new in box) 2.9v or less is the cliff of death, on coins.

if you discovered that ,why mess with BIOS at all (flashing)  it boots leave it alone? and work the new OS?

@savvy2 wrote:

new coin cell is first

Thank you for the advice. I've been hacking old computers for a while now so this is not my first redeo. Indeed I built my current worstation from the ground up. And Yeap, bringing  an old machine back ffrom the dead can take a wee bit of work  The first thing I did was to install a NEW 3vdc CR 2032. Indeed part of the problem when I first tried to start the machine was it was not holding Date and Time.

With the new coin install stalled I was then able to start bringing it back to life. The "NVM Checksum is not Valid " would popup that the machinbe would load, minus the networking. While I can boot the machine without problem, it is not much useful if I can't hook it to the internet. The NVM problem is tied to the Ethernet Controller an Intel Corp. 82566DC Gigabit Network Connection (Rev 02) and if i can "fix" or reset the checksum to its correct value I *should* have network access again.

Since I posted this message I tried a few other things in hopes of working around the problem. One of my first experiemnets was to install a 3Com10/100 network card. By installing the card I hoped that even if the installed On-Board was dead, I could simply hook to the Internet via the add-in card. Good plan, but did not work. I was unable to establish a Wired Connection no mater what I tried.

The next thing I did was with the 3Com 10/100 network card still installed I booted a copy of Knoppix 7.2.0 and brought it up. Knoppix is  a great Utility program. When it came up it automatically established a Network Connection. Not only could I connect the machine via a Wired Connection, I could also connect it to the Network Wirelessly as well.  Running the command lspci showed me all the nework cards. I did it while running CentOS 7.3 and while running Knoppix. I was able to determine that Knoppix connected to the network using the 3Com 10/100 network card, the Wireless Network Card, the On-Board Eithernet Controller however was still dead, and that was because of the  "NVM Checksum is not Valid " error.

At this point all I am doing is still more research and I need to know the DATE of the last known  BIOS Update for this machine.

Here is what I am starting to suspect is the cause of my problem: When the battery died not only did I lose the Date and Time I suspect that the memory of the Motherboard Ethernet Controller may have gotten whacked. Re-flashing the BIOS might be the only way to reset it unless you knw of some other way to correct the problem.

Thank you for your reply. Any further help you could provide would be extremely helpful and greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
savvy2
Level 7
1,432 1,383 40 124
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

with any new coin cell

we remove all power, first, 

then line cord off

then push the power button, this discharges all caps., new coin, then

now power it up and enter BIOS and push the BIOS reset,  button inside BIOS.

this resets bios to all bits correct like day one and Checksum is freshly stored, in said bios CMOS ram.

then click EXIT and SAVE , NOT ABORT.

then when you turn it on the CHecksum checks OK. from this point forward, battery at 3v not 2.5v. right?

you  did measure the new battery right>?  many batteries come new NO GOOD, some are on the shelf for 5 years or more. (they lied its NOS, new old stock, )

just got one yesterday in a 2 pack, blister one 3.3v othe 0.1vdc.

oops , use a volt meter. A METER COSTS $20

do not flash the BIOS if the PC ran before,  then it will run now. best practices never flash BIOS, ever.

unless 1: HP told you on this forum and 2: they show it fixed your problem, it won't here.!

exception: someone before playing flash games for fun (kids or prev. owners, etc)

unmolested BIOS rom lasts for 100 years, (have proof) leave it be... is best.

after all the BIOS boots the CD right.? all the BIOS screens all look normal ,right? all of them. look carefully.

this PC is old and has real old chips in it, and you do know that modern PC OS sold or for free at Linux, new.

do not NOT SUPPORT OLD CHIPS at all. (same with W10)

so that means you must get them 1 by one from the maker of those old chips....

it's not easy finding them, if the maker shut down support 10 years ago on that old chip.

I have vast driver experience,  and help if ID any chip or tell the full card PN. (i also have a PCI sniffer program, ask)

case in point 3com, does not exist,  HP bought and killed it dead, there is no HP 3com page now, its GONE.

leaving only virus infected hackers offering them.. (anytime a vacuum is created (like XP) somone fills said vacuum full of virus, malware or are scaplers. $30 driver files that dont work)

if you had gone to Centos and asked on their  forum they'd have told you this.

they would have said , you need LEGACY LINUX version   blabla from the year 2000s

why not find a 10 year old box,  for near nothing , and avoid old legacy boxes...

why waste time on legacy.....?

HP does not support your PC I am sorry, , and there is no HP page on it nor BIOS updates now.

its retried now.  Im not HP but sure Im sorry for that... 

proof here

https://support.hp.com/us-en/retired-products

worse is this D4700 series,  is rare to find manuals of any kind,  googling shows zero.

notwithstanding all that.

get the checksum cleared first,   the HP site covers that.  its generic this,  BIOS resets. how and to clear checksums.

once clear,

pick and OS

so far you tried LINUX.  and failed. Centos 7 is NEW.

and will on all old chips running new linux or W10

those drivers were abandoned long ago.

know that there are over 20,000,000  drivers now. 20 mil.

and no OS sold does all those. what they do (OS creators) , is only do like the last 10 years.

or the OS expands by 10 more gigbytes and  chokes.

Imagine testing 20million driver on a new OS,  no sane person even considers it.

1. that leaves 2 choices, the right OS
  2. or get the drivers the hard way, and 3com is dead,  find a real company that is not dead and use there products.

buy say a PCI card with a intel nic chip, or realtek, or any top maker of ethernet chips,

here is one example new.

a card with no driver is a brick, 

what cards do you have now?

i have a box of these.  (i collect all PCI cards)

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166017&cm_re=ethernet_card_pci-_-33-166-01...

this is the aother realtek chip. one card is $6, there.

avoid 3com.

all the 3com links at livewire dot com are dead for 3com, all point to HP and are dead links

searching at HP nets me ZIPPO.

0 Kudos
savvy2
Level 7
1,432 1,383 40 124
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

reset bios now, get the checksum cleared first. 

BIOS scans all chip and reports that to windows

but dont thing Linux uses PnP at all.  its not PnP OS.

the knoppix showed you that is true.

windows is a whole other matter, and not on topic here.

the onboard ethernet chip.

the mobo is so old all it shows is this old slow chip. no name just speed.

i use  this sniffer v3 seen here, no tech should ever be with out this CD, 

first scan it and sniff out all chips then find this unknown dead LAN chip

if its intel its MFG=8086 then a device numer like 1234,  we then look that up and BINGO the real name.

http://www.pcdied.com/pci-101.html

the data base is on the next link there, to look up those codes.

see this

WIFI chip and is an  Intel (8086) chip and is code 4239h,

Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6200 AGN (wifi in my laptop has this)

that is my chip.....  and decode to

intel, (they support most OS, still)

then ask CENTOS for a matching driver.

or go to makers site see linux drivers there, if at all, many chips have no linux driver at all. 

0 Kudos
savvy2
Level 7
1,432 1,383 40 124
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

http://www.pcdied.com/pci-101.html

make aND RUN THE SNIFFER V43 HERE.

then post the mfg code and dev code.

0 Kudos
desertcat1
Author
6 3 0 0
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you Savvy2 you have been a help. I tried what you said exactly as you said but that did not fix the problem -- still get the NVM... message.

I have had some success though: I finally got the 3Com card to work in CentOS 7.3. I downloaded a driver and up it popped. so I now have an internet connection on "The Trashcan Monster".  I was not as lucky with the Wireless card. While I was able to find a driver, the OS / Mobo still seems to refuse to recognize it. Likewise I was able to find a driver for the Intel On-board Ethernet, but that was likewise not seen and still get the NVM.... message.  While I can maybe live without the On-board Ethernet, it is kind of strange that both Knoppix and Linux Mint see both the Wired and Wireless cards, but CentOS does NOT. Neither Knoppix or Linux Mint sees the On-board Ethernet, though running lspci shows it very clearly (which was how I tracked down the driver for it).

Time to get hard core: Where can I get this "SNIFFER V43"? Is it a file or what that I can download and burn to a CD /DVD? 

All in all we've made quite a bit of progress. We've ressurected this computer from the DEAD. I have now installed CentOS 7.3 on it and updated it to 7.4 B eta (7.4 should be out this week). It has a lot of cool stuff and have tricked out each of the 10 Virtual Desktops, and have done a lot of customization. To be ceratin it still needs a lot of work. For one we're got to strip it down to an empty case, remove the CPU etc., and then give it a good cleaning, then rebuild it. At some point it will take the place of my current gateway server (which if you think this is old, my current gateway is running a Pentium 4  CPU!). The one thing that this computer still needs is a second NIC, If we can somehow do it witch a second 10/100 Network Card, so be it. 

Tell me where to download "SNIFFER V43" and I'll add it to my collection of various Utility Disks -- one cand not have too many Untility Disks. This sounds like a good one to have.

Thansk

0 Kudos
savvy2
Level 7
1,432 1,383 40 124
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

it is the best, tried them all, all mostly stink,

but this program runs of a tiny mini CD or a tiny even very old usb memory stick

here it is, 

btw it can find deep burried USB devices, like HP web cames

to find that, use usbview64.exe.

this tool is the best toll ever,,, not pulling cover off case add reading chip name and numbers out load.

the best is finding the real name of the I/O bus controller, and version,  like Intel ACH7 chip, 82801x, etc.

one super good reason is w10 dont run on may older Intel chips, even 2009 chips, a fact.

http://www.pcdied.com/pci-101.html#sniffer

0 Kudos
savvy2
Level 7
1,432 1,383 40 124
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

the trick with linux (not recompling the kernel every day)

is match the linux year to the mother board year.  see?

like MS , the Linux folks both remove older drivers.

and all chips no longer supported by there  chip makers,  they are kicked to the crub.

like 3com, its dead now. only scrounging works.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation